Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th April 2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Syrian Daggers for comment.

Hi everyone,

I have recently uncovered these daggers and would welcome any comments you may have. The first two have horn hilts decorated with bone, pearl, what looks like coral and brass. Both have steel scabbards. The third one has a brass hilt and scabbard with wood inserts in the hilt and could be a tourist piece. They are all roughly the same length, 10.125 ins, with blades varying between 5.5 and 5.75 ins.
Thank you

Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 05:26 AM   #2
ariel

This pattern is usually associated with the Druze village Majjal Shams on the Golan Heights, but the fashion spread all over. Newer ones can originate anywhere in Syria and Lebanon.

The brass ones are from the same area (Levantine), but are more "souvenir" IMHO.

Last edited by ariel; 21st April 2017 at 06:06 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
This pattern is usually associated with the Druze village Majjal Shams on the Golan Heights, but the fashion spread all over. Newer ones can originate anywhere in Syria and Lebanon.

The brass ones are from the same area (Levantine), but are more "souvenir" IMHO.
Thank you Ariel for your info it is appreciated. I agree with your opinion on the brass one as I think the same but it is well made and I like it.
Miguel
Old 27th April 2017, 12:59 PM   #4
motan

Default Syrian daggers

Hi Miguel,
I tend to agree with Ariel, but I will try to be more specific. The first two are original and old. I would say from 1930' to early 1950', although this is only an estimation. They do not belong to any specific type associated with the village of Majdal Shams, but could be made there. The scabbards, but also the blades are not of the Majdali type and look more like Syrian types, prehaps made in Damascus. Pictures 1 and 2 show the main types known to be made in Majdal Shams. Having said that, yours also do not look like later types made in Damascus.
My friend Mahmoud, who has many Majdali daggers, says that this older, but different type could be made in or around the town of AsSuweyda, a large Druze town in Jabal al Duruz (also known as Jabal al 'Arab) in the southern tip of Syria, but for now, this is only a hypothesis. Many of these daggers have been made and are still made in different parts of Syria, but also in Lebanon and Iraq (yes), and it is very difficult to pin down the exact origin. I am not even sure that the oldest type (pic 3) with the engraved copper plates really originates in Majdal Shams.
As for your third dagger, this is indeed a "presentation" piece made in Damascus. This type has been made for many decades for the tourist market and some even have "made in Syria" engraved on the blade. Always watch for the cast brass parts, especially the scabbard.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 01:00 PM   #5
motan

Sorry, pic 3 is missing. Here it is
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Miguel

Default Syrian Daggers

Hello Motan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge which is much appreciated.
Regards
Miguel