Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A beautiful Nuremberg haquebut with profusely painted stock, ca. 1550

The barrel may have been wrought towards the end of the 15th century but the back and fore sight, the pan and cover as well as the stock and lock suggest that they are no earlier than ca. mid-16th century.

Note the prevailing colors red and green and the Nuremberg coat of arms painted on the stock opposite of the lock!

The match holder (serpentine) is a mid-17th century working replacement as its shape indicates.

Beautiful - and lethal. Arms - why have we fallen for them?

Matchlock
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 02:26 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Matchlock,

Extremely charming piece you have there .

You ask why we fall for these things ? Because they are fascinating and we can't resist getting enchanted by them

Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Thanks, Fernando!

Actually, this fine piece is in a different private collection.

Michael (Matchlock)
Old 20th September 2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Michael, I'm really interested in the paint scheme and symbols painted on this piece. As we know, many of these early weapons received refurbishing and alterations over the years, and you note the serpentine appears 17th century.
What in interesting is the cabalistic symbols seen painted on, the sun, moon and stars. These are very similar to the talismanic blades which often are seen on German sword blades of the 18th century after becoming popular on hunting sword blades earlier. Are such symbols known to appear on the stocks of these early guns in other cases?
Also, I am still curious about the choice for red and green coloring.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Jim, in trying to understand the medieval taste for coloring, you might find the following post on painted period pieces of arts and crafts helpful:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7076

Just scroll down to where I attached the 15th century closets.

Of course you are right to mention a very similar style of decoration on 18th century blades but the painting on this stock is certainly of mid-16th century date. I realize that dating criteria are hard to define. Let me give you an example: When an illiterate person is confronted with a book for the first time, all he can say is "What are these strange marks? How can anobody see a meaning or message in them?" Of course, it takes along and intense process of studying to be able and actually put single letters together to words and sentences - and finally grasp their meaning.

Highly specialized detailed knowledge is very hard to share in being esoteric. All I can do is hope that this does not sound arrogant. I wish I knew how to do that any better.

Nevertheless, try and enjoy.

Matchlock/Michael
Old 20th September 2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Jim, in trying to understand the medieval taste for coloring, you might find the following post on painted period pieces of arts and crafts helpful:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7076

Just scroll down to where I attached the 15th century closets.

Of course you are right to mention a very similar style of decoration on 18th century blades but the painting on this stock is certainly of mid-16th century date. I realize that dating criteria are hard to define. Let me give you an example: When an illiterate person is confronted with a book for the first time, all he can say is "What are these strange marks? How can anobody see a meaning or message in them?" Of course, it takes along and intense process of studying to be able and actually put single letters together to words and sentences - and finally grasp their meaning.

Highly specialized detailed knowledge is very hard to share in being esoteric. All I can do is hope that this does not sound arrogant. I wish I knew how to do that any better.

Nevertheless, try and enjoy.

Matchlock/Michael

Not at all Michael, thank you for being so patient in your explanation which really adds perspective. This esoterica really does elude simple explanation, which definitely adds to its mystique. While these cabalistic symbols only became popular on swords blades in the 18th century, here it becomes clear that they were distinctly present in material culture much earlier.

Much of the same esoterica is well represented in guild and trademarks of many crafts, and in our case we are interested in those of firearms and sword makers. On our ethnographic forum some time ago we had a thread (now in the classic thread group) on 'early makers trademarks'. I am hoping we can continue that same theme as it really is an important aspect of these weapons history.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

More of this beauty.

Michael
Attached Images

Old 21st September 2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Matchlock
(deceased)

One more.
Attached Images

Old 26th September 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Pukka Bundook

Very nice gun, Michael.

Very interesting paint-work. would be nice to try and replicate something of this sort, as it opens up a new dimension to us.

I think this is what is appealing about archaic gonnes....they open up to us a whole new world!

I think we can only "progress" backwards, and the "new" frontiers lay behind us. (If you see what I mean!)
It is a way of living a lifetime beyond our own.

Example:
I started hunting with modern stuff, went back to percussion guns, went back to flint for 9 or so years, read an article on matcklock reliability, Had to try it, so made one & used it, now have a longbow or 2 half made.
Suppose it ends when we use rocks, or sharpen our teeth....(!)

Would really like to make a snapping matchlock, and a target type, with the heavy cheek-stock.

Thank you for the fine and inspiring pictures!

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 07:30 PM   #10
Matchlock
(deceased)

Default Firing replicas of 500 year old guns

Nice idea, Richard.

Actually there is someone over here in Germany who makes exact firing replicas after taking all the measurements including the weight from original pieces. His replicas are manufactured using the same techniques the old gunsmiths did 500 years ago. And they are officially black powder proofed!

He recently made a small tinder snap-lock target harquebus of ca. 1515-20 after almost 500 year-old drafts, and at 89 cm overall length and 14 mm caliber, it is a very cute little gun (images attached). He is by far the best.

Thank you for your encouraging lines,

Michael
Attached Images

Old 27th September 2008, 03:16 AM   #11
Pukka Bundook

Well isn't that a nice little matchlock, Michael!

I feel rather tempted to have a go at one similar!

The one I made, was just done with ideas from books, and decorated in the German/Dutch /English style. (Little lively animals, and hunting scenes, and flowers and "fruit and nuts"!
Do you have a decent picture of the works of a snapping matchlock?

Thanks again for the pictures.

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Michael, I'm really interested in the paint scheme and symbols painted on this piece. As we know, many of these early weapons received refurbishing and alterations over the years, and you note the serpentine appears 17th century.
What in interesting is the cabalistic symbols seen painted on, the sun, moon and stars. These are very similar to the talismanic blades which often are seen on German sword blades of the 18th century after becoming popular on hunting sword blades earlier. Are such symbols known to appear on the stocks of these early guns in other cases?
Also, I am still curious about the choice for red and green coloring.

All the best,
Jim
Note the survival of the colors on my doppelhacken. Michael noted this when he first saw it. Imagine, buried for god knows how long and still traces remain.
Attached Images

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote