Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th October 2023, 05:06 PM   #1
Barut

Default Keris Identification

Hello,

I bought this at a local antique shop a few days back. I know almost nothing about Kerises, so I figured I'd ask you all for specifics (whether it is a tourist trap like I assume it to be, its classifications, etc.). Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Barut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2023, 10:14 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

As a totality this keris can be classified as a Surakarta dress keris.

All the dress items are current era and of rather pedestrian quality, the blade is an older one, nothing special, the gonjo has been replaced.

Wrongko style is Surakarta ladrangan, pendok is embossed, probably made in Imogiri, off the top of my head I cannot name the pendok motif.

The hilt is Surakarta planar, I cannot give a tighter classification from a photo, but it is most likely yudowinatan form, the mendak can be given as kendit.

This would be a very low value keris in Central Jawa, but it is representative of a very large number of the type of keris owned by ordinary people as a dress item.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2023, 02:00 PM   #3
Barut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
As a totality this keris can be classified as a Surakarta dress keris.

All the dress items are current era and of rather pedestrian quality, the blade is an older one, nothing special, the gonjo has been replaced.

Wrongko style is Surakarta ladrangan, pendok is embossed, probably made in Imogiri, off the top of my head I cannot name the pendok motif.

The hilt is Surakarta planar, I cannot give a tighter classification from a photo, but it is most likely yudowinatan form, the mendak can be given as kendit.

This would be a very low value keris in Central Jawa, but it is representative of a very large number of the type of keris owned by ordinary people as a dress item.
Hello and thanks for the detailed response. I'm not surprised, but I still should've been a tad more careful.
Barut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2023, 09:35 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Nothing wrong with it, it is what it is.

It is a genuine cultural item, the blade body has some age, the rest of it fits quite nicely into the dress frame work.

It really comes down to values, a pretty decent older keris will usually cost good money, a somewhat lesser keris will cost less. This keris might not be a masterpiece, but it is complete & in nice condition. Its OK.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote