Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th July 2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Bill M

Default More Naga Dao

I would like your comments. The one I like the most below is the one with the belt. The "engraved" axe and dao may or may not be that good certainly unusual. I belive the fourth one is real and old like the one with the belt.

Also have a Naga house pillar about 10'6" high and 35" wide showing stylized buffalo heads. A were-leopard from a community house if anyone would like to see pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 29th July 2006 at 05:27 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 06:07 PM   #2
dennee

All nice items, Bill. I am partial to the "all-steel" ones (although the haft is made of steel essentially wrapped around a wood rod with a presumably removable pommel). The belt and dao-holder are nice. It seems to be the case that a lot of these have been married up with daos that don't quite fit the holders. I imagine that many of the narrower-bladed daos may have been suspended from belts with the block-type holders worn in the small of the back.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennee
All nice items, Bill. I am partial to the "all-steel" ones (although the haft is made of steel essentially wrapped around a wood rod with a presumably removable pommel). The belt and dao-holder are nice. It seems to be the case that a lot of these have been married up with daos that don't quite fit the holders. I imagine that many of the narrower-bladed daos may have been suspended from belts with the block-type holders worn in the small of the back.
Do you feel the all steel ones are authentic?

What more can you tell me about any of them?

Are you familiar with these groin pieces? The necklace is about 7 inches across.
Attached Images

Old 29th July 2006, 08:36 PM   #4
dennee

They definitely look genuine to me. The one with the well rounded edge and is known as a milemnok and is probably Kalyo-Kengyu or Konyak. The one with the longer blade may be Chang or Ao.

The other items appear to be consistent with traditional items of adornment, although I would guess that such things are still being made. The apron may be Chang (because of its similarity to one in the Pitt-Rivers Museum and pictured in Jacobs's book), but the plate looks like pot metal instead of the more favored brass. The series of brass heads is also a common motif on chest ornaments to indicate head-taking status. It is likely to be eastern.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennee
They definitely look genuine to me. The one with the well rounded edge and is known as a milemnok and is probably Kalyo-Kengyu or Konyak. The one with the longer blade may be Chang or Ao.

The other items appear to be consistent with traditional items of adornment, although I would guess that such things are still being made. The apron may be Chang (because of its similarity to one in the Pitt-Rivers Museum and pictured in Jacobs's book), but the plate looks like pot metal instead of the more favored brass. The series of brass heads is also a common motif on chest ornaments to indicate head-taking status. It is likely to be eastern.
There is a bad reflection on the apron plate. It is brass. The white are hundreds of cowrie shells
Old 29th July 2006, 08:57 PM   #6
katana

Very nice acquisitions Bill....I'll be honest in saying I have very little knowledge of the Naga and surrounding tribes but, I've looked at many examples of their axes....yours definately seem consistant with style and manufacture. The 'cowrie shell' apron and groin protection , is a new one on me, but,what an unusual and interesting addition to your collection. I'm sure you have made a few of us jealous

I would be interested in the other artefacts...especially the 'were leopard'
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Justin

I think the first one in the pics is Igorot rather than Naga.All nice pieces though.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
I think the first one in the pics is Igorot rather than Naga.All nice pieces though.

Could be, do you have any supporting data? Would like to know more bout these pieces.
Old 1st August 2006, 02:59 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Bontoc (?) ax

I agree with Justin. Looks like a Bontoc ax used as a tool primarily. We have talked about these on the old Forum and also on this one too I believe.

Ian.

Here's another exmple: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=591

Last edited by Ian; 1st August 2006 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Added link
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote