Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2017, 04:27 AM   #1
satsujinken

Default for discussion - ancient Sepang ?

Hi

I made this thread for discussion about this keris. Well to be honest, I just read Alan's site and read about relief in ancient temples in Indonesia

here's another keris with mendak fused to the blade, it is said that this type of keris is very old. Kabudhan / Singosari era

but as we all know, we have to treat all stories from the owner with a pinch of salt

this one is said to be found in river deposit, I notice the similarities with keris in the relief pictured in Alan's site, just this one is more slender. The ancient keris looked symmetrical in appearance and kinda like Sepang dhapur like this one

any comments ?

and as usual, enjoy ...
Attached Images

satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:06 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Round pesi Donny?
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Jean

Same sort of stuff as the previous ones? Look at the greneng.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:26 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Look at the whole thing Jean.

I'm amazed --- but please don't ask me why.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:25 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Are we supposed to believe this is "ancient?"

Are you testing us or what?

I do not know almost anything about kerises, but I am pretty sure this is a FAKE antiquated piece.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:29 PM   #6
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Are we supposed to believe this is "ancient?"

Are you testing us or what?

I do not know almost anything about kerises, but I am pretty sure this is a FAKE antiquated piece.
PS: This is from the same cheater like the previous one. The same manner of taking photos, the same "escavated" condition of the kerises and... the same leaves in the background.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #7
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Same sort of stuff as the previous ones? Look at the greneng.
Regards
it is coming from my friend. He is a keris dealer and I already asked for his permission to use his pictures on non-commercial site. I did not bought from him nor using this site for commercial usage.

he hunted keris and tosan aji in remote villages and sometimes got around 10 - 15 at one hunt ... not all are worth mentioning, of course. He made a living by cleaning, restoring and selling it

some are true keris, some are blatant fakes, some are interesting and in the border between real and unreal.

Donny
Old 25th April 2017, 03:31 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsujinken
some are true keris, some are blatant fakes, some are interesting and in the border between real and unreal.
Donny, if you are sincere about advancing the knowledge of recognizing fakes vs. the real deal for the sake of new collectors perhaps that best thing you could do would be to post some of the tosan aji your friend has discovered that you believe are true keris along side what you think fake or uncertain. These comparisons would go a long way to illustrate the difference for the new collectors. If all you do is continue to post only the fakes you must understand why people will grow suspicious of your motives.

Last edited by David; 25th April 2017 at 06:06 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 11:33 AM   #9
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Donny, if you are sincere about advancing the knowledge of recognizing fakes vs. the real deal for the sake of new collectors perhaps that best thing you could do would be to post some of the tosan aji your friend has discovered that you believe are true keris along side what you think fake or uncertain. These comparisons would go a long way to illustrate the difference for the new collectors. If all you do is continue to post only the fakes you must understand why people will grow suspicious of your motives.
I take this as an insult ... (just kidding)
David, if you look at my post history, I post a lot of thing. Event of keris, a newly made keris, an odd keris, a good kamardikan keris, and so on. I love this forum and would like to keep it alive

I consider myself lucky, I lived in the land of keris. Perhaps that's why I tend to overlook the common keris ... brojol, tilam upih ... all can be found here in hundreds if not thousands

I also consider myself as an apprentice, as I may be wrong, I do have my opinion, and I try my best to present it but I always kept my doubt that I may be wrong

remember the Singo Sineba I posted earlier ? some said it was antique, until Alan pinpoint where it goes wrong, and it passed many experts here as genuine antique and someone bought it for USD 1,000

for now, I have the chance to know a friend, a keris dealer, so my posts will mostly about him and what I found to be interesting, intriguing as I did not think a post about brojol or tilam upih keris will be interesting for you all. Hey, it's me learning from your opinion here ...

I took your advice to the heart, David, and I will try to post comparison for the next post, but beware ... it may be boring

Donny
Old 25th April 2017, 10:02 AM   #10
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Round pesi Donny?
looks like it, Alan ...

there are some clues I am currently looking at :

1. the corrosion rate of something on submerged for hundreds of years should be more than that
2. the shape of the blade is too long, as I believed that blade from kabudhan era should be short and stout
3. the fused mendak and the remnants of wood on the pesi is somewhat dubious
4. should the pesi be square ??

note that during my journey, only ONCE I held a true kabudhan keris, of which I thought to be genuine. I treated all other as "possible fake"

but I may be wrong

Donny