Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 30th December 2014, 12:30 AM   #1
TVV

Default Miquelet Pistol for Comment

Gentlemen,

This pistol was reportedly found in the Balkans. I am posting it in this section however, because my friend whom it belongs to would like to know if this was Western made, say, in Iberia, or if it was a local copy. The decoration is crude and typical of Balkan pistols of lower quality, but it looks like it could be a later addition to the lock and barrel.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Fernando K

hello

This is a piece for tourists. Despite the decoration, there are many things attest. For example, in the upper jaw missing appendix, the flange of the trigger is not vertical, missing the trigger system and also lack the frizzen spring. The punch at the top of the barrel is just a cartoon and so on.

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 10:12 PM   #3
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
hello

This is a piece for tourists. Despite the decoration, there are many things attest. For example, in the upper jaw missing appendix, the flange of the trigger is not vertical, missing the trigger system and also lack the frizzen spring. The punch at the top of the barrel is just a cartoon and so on.

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando, thank you for your honest and straightforward answer.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 03:37 AM   #4
JamesKelly

If you wish to remove some of that rust without harming the metal too much, might I suggest using bronze wool with whatever penetrating oil suits you.

Bronze will not scratch the iron. I have been told by car people that automatic transmission fluid works well to clean old iron. Leave it on for a few days and scrub again.

Steel wool is an abomination, an invention of the Evil One, as it will damage whatever original finish might still be present. Well, maybe not here, but use bronze or copper wool anyway.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote