Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd January 2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Bill M

Default #1499 Chinese Warring States sword.

CHINA. EARLY WARRING STATES PERIOD, FIRST HALF 5TH CENTURY BC The long tapering blade with beveled edges and with a distinct median ridge made from a different alloy and now of turquoise color, and the hilt with six circular flanges below a circular, dished pommel.

In the area of Chinese fakes and who can you trust? We acquired this sword personally from well-known author Anthony Allen. of "Allen's Authentication of Ancient Chinese Bronzes"

Height 1.13", Width 2",Length 21.5"

Notice some cloth remnants in closeup of the hilt?
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:45 PM   #2
josh stout

That is an amazing bronze, and I am glad to know its provenance, because I assume every one I see is a modern fake. The patina is a wonderful blue green, and does indeed seem to have fabric incorporated into it. Could it have been a metallic thread, or do you think it is more like a fossil where the organic component has been replaced with metal oxides?

It is also nice to see the edge with a slight color difference. It seems that these were quite sophisticated with a harder bronze at the edge and softer shock absorbing bronze in the body. This technology was the conceptual foundation for harder steel edges on Chinese swords beginning in the Han. Basically it seems that as soon as the Chinese had iron, they went to massed produced folded steel with differential hardening almost instantly. The sophistication of these bronze blades provided the conceptual framework to make that possible. In their time they were second to none.

It is also interesting to note how simple and ergonomic the design is. Bronze guo and cong from the period are highly decorated.
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:12 AM   #3
RobertGuy

A very nice example with excellent provenance. The presence of the remains of fabric wrapping would lend itself to carbon dating if it is not totally fossilised. I am not sure it is necessary in this case but would be a certain way to prove authenticity which cannot usually be done with bronzes.
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote