FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th January 2024, 09:02 AM   #1
Kmaddock

Default An amalgmation of Europe and Asia, Shamshir

Hi All
Picked up this interesting sword yesterday evening in a trade,

Abused and then abused some more
Total length 35 inches and sharp

Obviously needs the blade cleaning but great to see the pattern emerging from the dirt and grime, hope the pics come out OK

Ran out of sand paper grade 2000 so have stopped cleaning for the moment.

The handle from an European Briquet but together a while I think.

No back story just out of an old collection even had an old scabbard with it

No Idea on the writing or imagery, I did not even know how to take pics of it as what is up and what is down. Can anyone advise on blade age and translation.

Jim I think this is one you would like as it has been there ;-)

Keep well,

Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 09:13 AM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Amazing setup. Maybe not a real briquet handle ? .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 11:11 AM   #3
GePi

Interesting blade! The cartouche on the flat is not surprising, it reads amal-e Assadullah Esfahani - work of Assad Allah of Isfahan.

The inscription on the spine is beyond my paygrade, although I think I can make out a few words. I do not know if someone competent in arabic/persian/turkish translation still posts here, the last post by kwiatek was almost two years ago responding to a translation request of mine
I would advise to try to take better pictures though, preferably without glare, and I don't think the whole inscription in the posted pictures.
GePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2024, 08:48 PM   #4
Kmaddock

Thanks GePi

Fernando why do you think the handle might not be a real one were these copied by traditional makers?
It is old for certain
Thanks
Ken
Old 1st February 2024, 07:40 AM   #5
corrado26

The model for the piece shown may have been the French infantry saber M an 9, but it differs significantly from this local ordnance piece. The material thickness of the handrail is significantly thicker at the transition to the handle and the shape does not correspond to the original. I am also of the opinion that the really sophisticated blade and the grip did not originally belong together.
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2024, 09:35 AM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmaddock View Post
Thanks GePi

Fernando why do you think the handle might not be a real one were these copied by traditional makers?
It is old for certain
Thanks
Ken
Udo said it all ...

-
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2024, 09:48 AM   #7
Kmaddock

Thanks Corrado,

They have been together a long time, the guy I got it off had it for 40 years he said it was expensive when he got it but was happy to move it on in a trade, I just like it for what it is to be honest.

I am not sure if the peening that i see is the original blade remnants in the handle or the blade that is presently there, The present blade might just be held in with glue or resin

Regards,

ken
Old 9th February 2024, 11:58 PM   #8
David R

Looks familiar, and I might have seen it on another forum. I had one like this some years ago, a nice wootz shamshir blade, stuck into a poor casting from a Victorian bandsman's sword.
I let it go, not really knowing what to do with it, I do now, but the sword is long gone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2024, 02:54 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ken, thank you for the note in the OP, you know me well
Each sword has its story to tell.

Clearly in form this hilt is of the rather scarce 'model 9' as well described by Udo. As I understand, these were produced 1801-1803 and by BOUTET at Versailles.
I am not familiar enough with French Napoleonic arms to argue for or against this not corresponding to the character of the original examples.......but I have one question.
Why in the world would anyone copy a briquet? these munitions grade weapons are hardly the grade sought by Napoleonic collectors in my thinking. I suppose they're a bit more desirable than the British briquet I bought in the 60s for ten bucks

Then to see this combination of what seems a very high quality Persian blade, even though probably not actually Assad Alllah but one of the subsequent blades using the name (in the manner of the spurious use of the Toledo masters names).

Is it possible that this model briquet might have been produced by another maker/works? following the general design.

Then the question is, what likely French colonial context might his combination have been assembled?

IMO a most attractive and intriguing sword Ken, no wonder you grabbed it!
Easy on the cleaning the patina really gives it character.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 12:47 PM   #10
Kmaddock

[
Easy on the cleaning the patina really gives it character.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry Jim, I am not a fan if shiny things and the brass will never be cleaned by me .

I might try and bring out the pattern on the blade though as it is very attractive.
Keep well
Ken
Old 12th February 2024, 03:44 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Ken! I guess I have always been adamant on preservation of patina on these old weapons (its the historian in me). In my thinking the patina is a well earned coat of history, rather like the rings in a tree trunk, and worn proudly by these venerable old warriors. Sorry, off on a tangent there thought I was writing a romance novel .

Understand on the blade, which is amazing. I would defer to the experts, but while the Assad Allah cartouche suggests a Persian trade blade, this clearly has remarkable watering, and it seems unusual for a 'trade' blade to have all that 'activity' on the spine. This might well be a more important blade than expected. If I may suggest getting hold of Philip Tom who typically writes on ethnographic, but is the true master of restoring blades.

All the best
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 04:10 PM   #12
Kmaddock

Ill take some better images tonight and if you have Philips Toms user name I might send him a link to the thread
Would that be OK?,
Thanks
Ken

I am not sure though which way is up or down on the writing though?
Old 14th February 2024, 05:09 AM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Ken,

Philip's name here is simply "Philip." He is a very approachable person. Drop him a PM.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote