Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2016, 12:20 AM   #1
oldschldude

Default Whale Bone Kampilan

Hello Everyone,
I need info for this Kampilan. Age? description? When was this handguard used? Thanks for all inputs. Oldschldude
Attached Images

oldschldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Sajen

Very nice and great kampilan. I would guess that it is a middle until end of 19th century example. Would like to see the blade cleaned and etched. Also some better and bigger pictures. Can't remember to have seen a guard with chains attached. Maybe a Lumad influence?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 02:02 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes 19c. Needs some restoration and polish and etching. However, whalebone kampilans are hard to find.

Actually Detlef, occasionally Moro kampilans will have 4-in-1 chain maille as part of the hand guard. This is not Lumad but Moro. Good question though.....

I also agree that larger pictures and close ups would help tremendously when you get it.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 05:31 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Oldschldude and welcome to the forum. I am in total agreement with what Detlef and Jose have already told you. I did though try to get a little more detail out of your photos. Not much better than the originals, but will have to do until you can post better ones after it arrives.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 05:57 AM   #5
oldschldude

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Oldschldude and welcome to the forum. I am in total agreement with what Detlef and Jose have already told you. I did though try to get a little more detail out of your photos. Not much better than the originals, but will have to do until you can post better ones after it arrives.

Best,
Robert
Thanks, Ill put some new ones tomorrow. Also Thanks for peoples reply
Old 20th March 2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Actually Detlef, occasionally Moro kampilans will have 4-in-1 chain maille as part of the hand guard. This is not Lumad but Moro. Good question though.....
Hello Jose,

like said, never seen this before. Can you show samples?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 21st March 2016, 01:41 AM   #7
oldschldude

Default More Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschldude
Thanks, Ill put some new ones tomorrow. Also Thanks for peoples reply
Hello,
Here's some new pics. Hope this help..Thanks!
P.S.
Just got a few questions. Just curious, Why dated mid to late 19th century and not an (late) 18th century sword (I wish). Is it determined by the chain mail used in the guard introduced during that time/ moro armour. Filipino whalers during that time? The wideness of mouth of crocodile on the hilt(shape of hilt)? Shape of blade?

Regards,
Oldschldude
Attached Images

Last edited by oldschldude; 21st March 2016 at 03:29 AM.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:34 PM   #8
drac2k

What a fantastic sword !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 04:24 PM   #9
carlos

Congratulations! Is a very beautiful sword , the kampilans are my favoutite swords !! And with whale bone ...my envy is great! !!
Thanks
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:07 AM   #10
oldschldude

Default Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's inputs and kind words. Oldschldude.
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:51 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jose,

like said, never seen this before. Can you show samples?

Regards,
Detlef
Since you asked, here are some pictures of one that was on eBay (and later owned by Rsword):
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2016, 02:56 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

And here is another example from the Peabody Museum here in the United States:
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2016, 03:04 AM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschldude
Just got a few questions. Just curious, Why dated mid to late 19th century and not an (late) 18th century sword (I wish). Is it determined by the chain mail used in the guard introduced during that time/ moro armour. Filipino whalers during that time? The wideness of mouth of crocodile on the hilt(shape of hilt)? Shape of blade?

Regards,
Oldschldude
All good questions. On dating, you do have a good point. It was a safe dating, especially since many I have seen are from this time period. However, after looking once again at the patina on the cross guard,perhaps it could be earlier. Not much is known about these and dating.
Old 22nd March 2016, 04:11 AM   #14
oldschldude

Default Thank You!

Quote:
All good questions. On dating, you do have a good point. It was a safe dating, especially since many I have seen are from this time period. However, after looking once again at the patina on the cross guard,perhaps it could be earlier. Not much is known about these and dating.
Thank you Battara for posting pictures and replying to my post. My questions are to help build my knowledge base, based on these subjects.
Thanks again. Oldschldude
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Oldschldude:

Very nice kampilan and congrats on finding such a good piece.

I just have one question. Are you sure this hilt is whalebone? Old wood that has dried out and been "weathered" can look very similar. I'm not seeing the porosity in the hilt material that I associate with whale bone, but I can see a longitudinal "grain" that makes me think this is perhaps wood. Also, the carving has remained very crisp for whale bone, which tends to crumble a bit with repeated handling. The cross guard appears to be wood. Whale bone would also be a rather fragile material on which to hang chain mail.

Just a few thoughts.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:38 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Since you asked, here are some pictures of one that was on eBay (and later owned by Rsword):
Thank you very much Jose! Great examples!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:19 PM   #17
oldschldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Oldschldude:

Very nice kampilan and congrats on finding such a good piece.

I just have one question. Are you sure this hilt is whalebone? Old wood that has dried out and been "weathered" can look very similar. I'm not seeing the porosity in the hilt material that I associate with whale bone, but I can see a longitudinal "grain" that makes me think this is perhaps wood. Also, the carving has remained very crisp for whale bone, which tends to crumble a bit with repeated handling. The cross guard appears to be wood. Whale bone would also be a rather fragile material on which to hang chain mail.

Just a few thoughts.

Ian.
Hello Ian,
Thanks for the greetings! Good point there. Yes I'm sure its bone and not wood. I would like to take more close up pictures but its very fragile as the rattan reinforcing the hilt to the guard had already snapped. Although there's a part on the guard where the chain rubbing on the guard had rubbed off the dark patina exposing the bone and polishing the bone. (In one of the pics I already uploaded.) Its also possible to my opinion, that the guard is probably from much stronger part of the whale(or maybe even ivory) hence darker patina and stronger than the hilt as to supporting the chain as you mentioned. Thanks for your reply. Oldscldude.

I've edited this reply cause I found more pics in my phone. In one of the pics I attached, the hilt/handle looks like whale bone grain. One of the pics also is a close up. You could zoom into it. This Kamp is just really really old and needs attention but was stored safely for a long time. Thanks again..oldschldude.
Attached Images

Last edited by oldschldude; 23rd March 2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 28th March 2016, 03:00 PM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

By the look of better pictures, it sure looks bone to me!
Old 31st March 2016, 01:23 AM   #19
oldschldude

Default better pics, again.

Quote:
By the look of better pictures, it sure looks bone to me!
Sometimes its hard to tell or analyze without clear or closeup pictures. (Got me looking at it again.) From some philippine swords I have seen in the internet, few do have white weathered bleached wood with patina or driftwood looking hilts or scabbards. Thanks Battara and everyone for their inputs...Oldscldude
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2016, 06:03 PM   #20
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yup that's bone alright!

Great close ups!