Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st October 2019, 06:04 PM   #1
JBG163

Default Pedang Sasak Lombok

Hi everybody !
Here is another thing. A Pedang sasak from Lombok. Period of production is maybe early 19th. Blade without hilt is long (70cm). This one got some particularities :

-First : Pamor Dadhung (Lombok name) or Buntel mayit (Java), signifying corpse's wrapping cloth. Said to be a choosy pamor, meaning if it suits you, it will be hugely beneficial but if not or you're not strong enough for it, it may bring misfortunes. In Lombok, it's sign of luck. Many encountered in Keris, it's rare on a pedang.

-Second : the handle, called Garuda Mungkur. This one show clearly the face of the bird Garuda, when the others handles are really stylized. A indonesian friend said to me that, by seing the handle, he now understand the name. He suggest that the owner of the sword was maybe more Hinduist than Muslim.

-Third : The finish touch, called Sangling. It's a typical finish of Lombok or Bali, by finger stone polishing then warangan.

-Fourth : There is some holes along the blade, maybe for inlays (but sadly, they are not here anymore).

Hope you all enjoy it.

Have a good day,

Julien

(ps: thanks to my indonesian friend for the photos)
Attached Images

Last edited by JBG163; 1st November 2019 at 07:32 AM.
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 07:03 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice pedang Julien, beautiful and elegant profile.
I am not convinced it is as old as mid 18th century though, but that is always a difficult question. But the blade has particularly good edges for an origin in the mid 1700s. What have you based you age assessment on?
I agree that Buntel Mayat is an unusual choice for a pedang pamor and sees much more use on keris, though even there it is rare on truly old pieces. It has been my understanding that this pamor usually contains no core which would seem and odd choice for a sword which i would expect to be more likely employed as a weapon than the average keris. I would think a coreless blade of this length would be less effective as a weapon. But i might be off base here.
BTW, you might have noted my spelling change on this pamor and you might find this thread of interest on that subject.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=Buntel+mayat
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 07:22 PM   #3
JBG163

Hi David, thanks for your response. Concerning the age, I ask to an indonesian friend, which give me the period. That's not the word of god, but he is a long time collector of indonesian sword... He insists that it could be more early 19th but early isn't exclude.
Concerning the twist pamor, it good to know that a twist iron rod got more resistance than a straight one (mechanicaly, it's more difficult to tear of a twist rod fence than a normal one). Damascus and mixed metal can maybe put a little more elasticity here. So, even if there is no hard steel core, the way of tighten the steel fiber by twisting it make it harder to bend, but got some elasticity by the Damascus use (I say that as a blacksmith and, what I learn from my masters) . Sorry if my English isn't understood, I will try to reformulate if not. As everything, metal used is the key. I don't say I'm right btw, and maybe it's more a "talismanic" sword!
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 02:10 AM   #4
asomotif

I am enjoying it. (sort of) thanks.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote