Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th January 2012, 01:15 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default Very unusual SPEAR / LANCE

With the flurry of spear / lance postings just at the moment , I thought I would show this for your opinions . It is principally of iron with brass studs , a brass collar and a brass diamond to the junction of blade and socket . The shaft looks as though it has been shortened .. though it has been rounded off and the shortening must have taken place a long time ago as the cut face has darkened and even been subject to woodworm attack. It is 92 cm in total with the blade + socket being 42 cm . Greatest blade width 8 cm. Set into the blade are 4 brass & 2 copper discs. The geometric patterns on the socket remind me of western Sahel designs , but I have never seen anything like this before .
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Iain

Fascinating spear! Although the blade profile is different, aspects of the collar remind me of Dogon work.

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/superga...mal0191-05.htm

Sadly, I would be fairly sure this is cut down. But still, a great spear head. Hopefully someone can provide an exact ID.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Fascinating spear! Although the blade profile is different, aspects of the collar remind me of Dogon work.

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/superga...mal0191-05.htm

Sadly, I would be fairly sure this is cut down. But still, a great spear head. Hopefully someone can provide an exact ID.
Rich, a really good spear head you have there and A very nice reference point Iain.
Although different again here is another spear of mine, it too uses brass washers either side of the pins.
There is also a very fine lizard skin remaining under the socket, very unusual I thought.
I thought mine was Somali though but I have not yet put much time in to the African spears here.
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 19th January 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 02:07 PM   #4
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Rich, a really good spear head you have there and A very nice reference point Iain.
Although different again here is another spear of mine, it too uses brass washers either side of the pins.
There is also a very fine lizard skin remaining under the socket, very unusual I thought.
I thought mine was Somali though but I have not yet put much time in to the African spears here.
Very nice spear indeed ... good to see it . How I wish someone would do a definitive book on African spears !
Richmond
Old 19th January 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fantastic example Richmond! and Iain and Gav, I think you guys are pretty much spot on regionally. While I honestly am far from up to speed on spears, things like this are so intriguing I want to learn more.
What i do recall is that spears from the Congo have similar head profile, and of course it seems the leaf like profile resembles some Sudanese types also.
It seems that there were configurations of dot like piercings on the Congo example, but I think four, much in the same location on the blade.

The use of brass or gold metal filled dots on blades seems an Arab originated application which has talismanic or apotropaic purpose, or perhaps both.
In Yucel's book on early Islamic swords, many of the blades have varying numbers of gold or brass dots in the blade, said to bring good fortune to the warrior using the weapon. The tradition seems to have of course carried into even modern weapons such as the janbiyya, which often has these kind of filled dots near the hilt on the blade.

Many Tuareg blades are noted by Briggs to have such brass filled dots, often singular, near the blade tip, but although the application remains unclear, it seems reasonable to presume associations to these traditions. Many of the blades described in Yucel are attributed to Mamluk use, and as we are finding, the Mamluk influences throughout the Sudan and into the Sahara as far as West African regions are compellingly present.

I look forward to more comparitive examples and perspective and finding out more on the shortened shaft as well. While of course this seems to have been reduced in length to a stabbing length weapon, and recalling the assagai of Zulu tribes, it is known that stabbing spears were prevalent in the Sudan as well.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
thinreadline

Once again a great summary and review Jim . This item certainly does seem to have influences from all over the northern half of Africa . I am just hoping other members out there may have further references and more examples of this oddity.
Regards
Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Fantastic example Richmond! and Iain and Gav, I think you guys are pretty much spot on regionally. While I honestly am far from up to speed on spears, things like this are so intriguing I want to learn more.
What i do recall is that spears from the Congo have similar head profile, and of course it seems the leaf like profile resembles some Sudanese types also.
It seems that there were configurations of dot like piercings on the Congo example, but I think four, much in the same location on the blade.

The use of brass or gold metal filled dots on blades seems an Arab originated application which has talismanic or apotropaic purpose, or perhaps both.
In Yucel's book on early Islamic swords, many of the blades have varying numbers of gold or brass dots in the blade, said to bring good fortune to the warrior using the weapon. The tradition seems to have of course carried into even modern weapons such as the janbiyya, which often has these kind of filled dots near the hilt on the blade.

Many Tuareg blades are noted by Briggs to have such brass filled dots, often singular, near the blade tip, but although the application remains unclear, it seems reasonable to presume associations to these traditions. Many of the blades described in Yucel are attributed to Mamluk use, and as we are finding, the Mamluk influences throughout the Sudan and into the Sahara as far as West African regions are compellingly present.

I look forward to more comparitive examples and perspective and finding out more on the shortened shaft as well. While of course this seems to have been reduced in length to a stabbing length weapon, and recalling the assagai of Zulu tribes, it is known that stabbing spears were prevalent in the Sudan as well.

All the best,
Jim
Old 19th January 2012, 06:41 PM   #7
CharlesS

My guess is Zanzibar or Madagascar.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Thats a pretty interesting suggestion .. do you have refs or pics that point you in that direction ?
Richmond
Old 19th January 2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Well Gav's spear looks Dan to me?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 19th January 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Im curious too Charles. I dont know much on Madagascar, but Zanzibar seems remarkably 'reflective' as far as weapon and material culture styles with its place as a key trade entrepot between Arab trade, Red Sea trade and the caravans from inland.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Charles, Jim, very interesting thoughts. Keeping the regional aspects in mind and the strong influences within the island and trade, Rich's spear head does to some degree remind me of an "Alam". Although not as decorative and piecred as most are, the 4 dot inlay does account for some thing special.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Martin Lubojacky

I think this spear is comming from Sahara. Old Tuareg spear ("lower casts" - e.g. like Imrhads - were forbidden to have all-iron allarhs). There is some descripiton I think in the book "Targi" by Vavra (unfortunately only in the Czech language and no pictures) from thirties. But this spear is older, I guess 19th century.

This shape of the spearhead evokes some simmilar shapes from what is curently Sudan, from Congo and even a little from Madagascar. Nevertheless I am nearly convinced this one is some Tuareg cast (I do not mean horizontal division to confederations, but let us say vertical to supperior and subaltern tribes...).

(As far as Zanzibar suggestion: Except of what introduced Omani Arabs there, like various types of "zanzibar handeled" sabres and swords and kataras and other arabic weapons, there is a very small collection of the weapons in the museum in Stone-town, especially I would say comming from eastern Congo, which, very probably vere brought to Zanzibar during Tippu Tippīs slaverīs raids.)

Regards
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 09:40 AM   #13
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
I think this spear is comming from Sahara. Old Tuareg spear ("lower casts" - e.g. like Imrhads - were forbidden to have all-iron allarhs). There is some descripiton I think in the book "Targi" by Vavra (unfortunately only in the Czech language and no pictures) from thirties. But this spear is older, I guess 19th century.

This shape of the spearhead evokes some simmilar shapes from what is curently Sudan, from Congo and even a little from Madagascar. Nevertheless I am nearly convinced this one is some Tuareg cast (I do not mean horizontal division to confederations, but let us say vertical to supperior and subaltern tribes...).

(As far as Zanzibar suggestion: Except of what introduced Omani Arabs there, like various types of "zanzibar handeled" sabres and swords and kataras and other arabic weapons, there is a very small collection of the weapons in the museum in Stone-town, especially I would say comming from eastern Congo, which, very probably vere brought to Zanzibar during Tippu Tippīs slaverīs raids.)

Regards
Martin
Well thank you Martin, this one is proving to be quite interesting ...
Richmond
Old 21st January 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
CharlesS

I am trying to post a pic of a spear I have been told was from Zanzibar, and somewhere here in my mass of books and articles I have some confirmation, but can' find it....naturally it will pop up a year form now when this thread is long forgotten .

We are having storms and I can't get decent lighting for the spear, so will try again later today.
Old 21st January 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
CharlesS

At last here is the spear I believe to be from Zanzibar, but so far cannot confirm until I can relocate it in references. Note how its features seem very eclectic. Perhaps the most unique feature is the haft which is inlaid with wooden panels on three sides. Wear to the tip and heavily patinated haft are obvious. It is just under 6ft. in length.

Not sure here...your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 25th January 2012, 10:02 PM   #16
CharlesS

Any input on the last spear shown??? Still looking for a more positive ID.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Iain

Hi Charles,

Spears of that type I am more familiar with from Madagascar. I have never seen something similar attributed to Zanzibar, but I have not nearly enough reference material to give a positive ID. Only that this style seems to be a pretty good match for other Madagascar spears.

Turning back to Richmond's piece, I think Martin may be onto something, I'd be very interested to read the description referred to in Vavra's work. Do you have a copy Martin? If you are away from your books at the moment I can check the library system where I am and try to find a copy and find the page in question.

All the best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 09:05 AM   #18
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi Charles,

Spears of that type I am more familiar with from Madagascar. I have never seen something similar attributed to Zanzibar, but I have not nearly enough reference material to give a positive ID. Only that this style seems to be a pretty good match for other Madagascar spears.

Turning back to Richmond's piece, I think Martin may be onto something, I'd be very interested to read the description referred to in Vavra's work. Do you have a copy Martin? If you are away from your books at the moment I can check the library system where I am and try to find a copy and find the page in question.

All the best,

Iain
Interesting .. I would be delighted if this turns out to be the case . if you locate a ref Iain that would be marvellous
Richmond