Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2007, 11:17 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default 20th Century Solonese Keris

Dear All,

I would like to show you, the new dhapur (model) -- never been before -- made by a Solonese Keris maker Sukamdi (50). This new dhapur was made in the last year of 20th century, in 1999. So, it's the keris from the last century, isn't it?

The materials are all black (from many kinds of old and broken budha iron), from agricultural tools, and then reforged by Sukamdi) and finished with artistic touch of this one of the best living Solonese keris maker. The sheath is also so special, because the scabbard is not made from metal, but wood. Specially carved with care by Mas Min -- a solonese sheath maker.

The dhapur, is the combination of normal "pakem" (standard model) megantoro and new details of two heavenly birds. So Sukamdi called his new dhapur, "peksi dewata" or heavenly birds or divine birds. Sukamdi had made two model of "peksi dewata", one is seven luks (curves) and this one is nine luks.

Megantoro itself is a pakem in keris. It consist of special details such as: the combination of keris luks (curved keris) from sor-soran to upper middle, and straight keris at the end of the top blade.

I hope you are be able to enjoy my newest keris...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Marcokeris

Beautiful
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 01:24 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

That's very nice work! I think it is good to see that new "dhapurs" are still developing. It shows that the art is not dead, but still growing and evolving. Enjoy your new keris and thanks for showing it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 02:03 PM   #4
ganjawulung

Default Living Kris Makers

Yeah, David,

The keris art is still living here. Although Sukamdi this nowadays, can not do his works like in 1999. He got tremor in his hand, due to the seriousnes of concentration in keris making. So I am lucky enough to get "his last work" of this divine birds. And I still keep other creation of Sukamdi, with the unique dhapur too: "sepang luk". Sepang, or almost simitrical model of sor-soran, usually straight keris. But that time, Sukamdi had made the sepang in luks. Beautiful too. The material was from broken kerises from sedayu (black) iron.

In solo there is also another creative keris maker, less than 50 years of age named Subandi. He knows well the right pakem, because he once learnt from old empu like the late empu Yosopangarso (yogyakarta) and also the senior Sukadgo (Solo).

Other Solonese keris maker are: Yanto (very good also in kinatah or gold ornament for kerises) and Yantono (sometimes, make western blade with pamor in his own besalen or forgeron).

In Madura also there is a good development in keris making. Now Madura is not only the place for the "kodian" (cheap) keris maker, but also the creative young keris maker. One of the best young keris maker in Madura today is Zulhan, and his senior Hosdy. Very-very talented, good craftmenship, and... perfect finisher. And don't underestimate Madurese smith now. Madurese pamor, now is the best in Indonesia, in technique and variation of pamor motives.

In Muntilan -- about 10 kilometers from Yogyakarta -- also there is Heru, a very young and talented keris maker. In one keris Exhibition in Bentara Budaya Jakarta last year, Heru was number 3 winner of "keris competition" (the first time, of such event in years). And the winner is a metallurgy bachelor from Surabaya, Rudy Hartonodiningrat. Also very talented.

Actually, keris is still living in here, Dave...
Old 15th May 2007, 02:14 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for your post Ganja. While many of us are aware of the skill and beauty of modern day keris made in both Solo and Madura up until now they have remained a nameless group of smiths. It is good to see their names so that they can begin to get the recognition they so well deserve for their work.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Marcokeris

Thank Ganja for your very interesting answer.
I'm very happy when i see a well made new keris with a new syle (and in my opinion the two birds in your keris are full of elegance and poetry)
On the contrary when i see a new (modern style) model of handle i generally feel an annoyance even if the work is good. For example new style madura handle.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Boedhi Adhitya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
In Muntilan -- about 10 kilometers from Yogyakarta -- also there is Heru, a very young and talented keris maker. In one keris Exhibition in Bentara Budaya Jakarta last year, Heru was number 3 winner of "keris competition" (the first time, of such event in years). And the winner is a metallurgy bachelor from Surabaya, Rudy Hartonodiningrat. Also very talented....
Excuse me, Ganjawulung, I know Heru personally, and I used to visit him, just to chat and seeing his works. Yes, he is a talented craftman, and before he make kerises, he was a keris dealer (and actually still a dealer, until now). But for the sake of accuracy, he didn't take the 3rd place in keris shaping competition. The 3rd place was taken by a talented young Madura guy, but I forget the name. The 1st, as you already mentioned, was taken by KRT Hartonodiningrat, and the 2nd by Mr Subandi. Heru's work on the competition was actually good, but the edge was too thin. As he was aging his work with acid to 'wipe-off' the file mark (like other competitors did, except Subandi), the acid ate-up the edge, making the blade proportion ruined. Very Bad Luck
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
ganjawulung

Boedi,

You are right. And the name of that young Madurese is Jamil. The only Madurese in that competition, although Madura actually has many talented keris makers.

Madura had a 'bad' reputation in the recent past, of making cheap kerises, or imitating old kerises. But now they're quite different. Talented keris maker like Zulhan he had learned the esthetic of making keris from Solonese keris maker like Sukamdi, or Subandi. Madurese had better pamor forger than Solonese. But usually they are lack of esthetic sense in finishing touch. Like Marco said, in making (ivory) new hilts too.