Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Need help on German blade inscription

This is a Portuguese regulation sword for infantry/artillery officer mod. 1806.
I assume the blade is German (18th century)as it has IN SOLINGEN in one of its sides.
What troubles me is the inscription in the other side. The person who offered it for trade says the letters are very clear but he can't discern what they are or mean:
CHAN . ?? S PL ? V G ? L
Apparently the P is tangled to the L and also there is a half (?) O tangled to a C.
Can any of you guys figure out what this inscription is about?
A word starting by CHAN doesn't appear in the German dictionary . Maybe the guy is not reading well or this is not German

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 5th January 2013 at 02:57 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

[QUOTE=fernando]This is a Portuguese regulation sword for infantry/artillery officer mod. 1806.
I assume the blade is German (18th century)as it has IN SOLINGEN in one of its sides.
What troubles me is the inscription in the other side. The person who offered it for trade says the letters are very clear but he can't discern what they are or mean:
CHAN . ?? S PL ? V G ? L
Apparently the P is tangled to the L and also there is a half (?) O tangled to a C.
Can any of you guys figure out what this inscription is about?
A word starting by CHAN doesn't appear in the German dictionary . Maybe the guy is not reading well or this is not German

Salaams fernando, PL ? V G ? L ...I think this could stand for PORTUGAL but without a picture of the actual letters its a bit difficult ~ any chance to see a photo of the actual full inscription?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 05:00 PM   #3
fernando

Olá Ibrahiim,
What a coincidence !
I arrived last knight from Lisbon, where i went to swap some pieces with the owner of this sword. When i opened my laptop and read your post, i was precisely realizing that the last word in the inscription might be a terribly stylised misspelled PORTUGAL. This because whilst struggling to take close up pictures of the blade, i kept wondering what the lettering would mean. Not that the pictures help so much as, due to bad conditions, i have done a lousy work.
Whether the whole inscription is in portuguese is something i can not yet figure out; still the three letters CHAN fit better into such language.

Attached Images

Old 13th January 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Olá Ibrahiim,
What a coincidence !
I arrived last knight from Lisbon, where i went to swap some pieces with the owner of this sword. When i opened my laptop and read your post, i was precisely realizing that the last word in the inscription might be a terribly stylised misspelled PORTUGAL. This because whilst struggling to take close up pictures of the blade, i kept wondering what the lettering would mean. Not that the pictures help so much as, due to bad conditions, i have done a lousy work.
Whether the whole inscription is in portuguese is something i can not yet figure out; still the three letters CHAN fit better into such language.

Salaams fernando ~ I agree on the PORTUGAL part but CHAN has me puzzled !
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 04:01 PM   #5
junker

Hi,
i`m from germany and i ve no idea.
I thougt of the french word "chevalleger" which is often used in Germany for the light horses regiments.

Dirk
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
fernando

Thank you so much for the suggestion Dirk, but the Cheval-Leger version doesn't fit in it.
Besides, that would imply in a Cavalry blade, which is not the case of this narrow small sword example.