Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th March 2023, 06:15 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Guyana club

I have finally gone for it. I had this thing in my ebay watch file ever since this piece was listed a few years back. Originally listed as African, after some time the seller was either informed or found out on their own that it is South American.
When I first looked, and up until now, I thought and so must have many others that it is rather atypical. So much so that in that classic collector mind set. [ If its not in a book is has to be wrong. ] Then I looked at the Amazonian clubs in my collection some are indeed not in publications or seen on museum data bases. However they came from FUNAI operatives, for authentic status is hard to beat. Just because not being from FUNAI does not mean inauthentic. It certainly appears not made yesterday. Somebody brought it back to the UK and not being open to variants is no way to learn or build your collection so this evening I bought it. Sellers picture, I do not think a real evaluation of the item can be made without handling and comparison in day light with related items. So when I have it I shall do so here.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 11th March 2023 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Correct FUNAI
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 05:32 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

It is here now. Some day light pictures. There is a little damage to the pointed tip. With no idea as to when it was collected age is purely speculative but you can compare it to museum database like AMNH and NMAI. It is made of palm wood with a striking edge more like a wooden axe rather than a bludgeon club. Nicely balanced close range weapon. I would not like to be hit in the face or head with it.

https://americanindian.si.edu/collec...3A%22Guyana%22
Attached Images

Old 15th March 2023, 06:27 PM   #3
drac2k

Great club, and a great site; thanks a lot, now there is another item on my wish list, lol. I think that you are taking over the legacy of the late great VANDOO.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2023, 07:05 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Interesting transitional piece between the spatulate versions and this more dagger form.

NMAI number 18/4936 Guyana. Collection history unknown purchased England 1933.
Attached Images