Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th March 2023, 12:01 PM   #1
tanaruz

Default KRIS CEBU

Hi friends,

sharing with you a kris that was traded/bartered in Cebu/Philippines.

According to the precious last owner (who's from Cebu), this was bartered by a Moro and his grandfather in Cebu.

The handle, is made up of kamagong wood. The previous could not recall if this hilt was the original one installed when it was bartered.

any ideas of the possible age of this warrior?

Saludos,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2023, 12:52 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Yves,

I believe you are talking about the smaller of the two swords that you show.The one on the right, the shorter of the two, looks to be a Sulu blade that once had twin asang asang. It's relatively short length next to the late 19th C kris would suggest that it is probably as old as, perhaps older than, late 19th C. Even Sulu swords tended to get longer around the late 19th/early 20th C. Actual dimensions of the two swords would be interesting to know. The sword is also mounted in a well worn Sulu style scabbard (which may not be original), compared with the Mindanao/Maranao scabbard shown for the larger sword.

All up, I think you have a nice antique Sulu kris that has received a lot of use and makeover by its prior owners. The replacement hilt is obvious, and the wrapping of the scabbard is probably not original. One asang asang is missing now.

Nice old sword that could probably tell a few tales!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2023, 08:06 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default kris cebu

Hello Ian,

appreciate your inputs on this one.

1) the hilt will be replaced by an old hilt (with ivory pommel): see pics. This handle, will be lovely on the kris blade;
2) an additional asang-asang (silver) will be added to the kris
3) as for the scabbard- well Im still thinking on what to do with it. Perhaps an MOP or turtle-scute would fit just time.

Here are some pics on the hilt.

Saludos,

Yves
Attached Images

Old 12th March 2023, 01:14 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yes, that's a nice old period hilt that should go well on the sword. Is the kakatua partly damaged? Even if it is, I don't think it detracts much from the hilt overall--it looks like it has seen some action, just as the blade does, so it's in keeping with the ensemble. Look forward to seeing the final product.

Before committing to a scabbard overhaul, you might want to see how the replaced hilt looks with the current one. This is a gnarly old sword, and a fancy scabbard might look out of place and not suit the character of its gin.
Old 13th March 2023, 08:50 AM   #5
tanaruz

Default kris cebu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yes, that's a nice old period hilt that should go well on the sword. Is the kakatua partly damaged? Even if it is, I don't think it detracts much from the hilt overall--it looks like it has seen some action, just as the blade does, so it's in keeping with the ensemble. Look forward to seeing the final product.

Before committing to a scabbard overhaul, you might want to see how the replaced hilt looks with the current one. This is a gnarly old sword, and a fancy scabbard might look out of place and not suit the character of its gin.
Hi Ian,

Yup, the kakatua seems to have that damage (bought it that way- without the blade, ha ha). I will post the final product.

As for the scabbard- it won't be a fancy one as it has to blend well with the sword's character.

By the way: what is gin? does it refer to the blade's overall character? I've looked it up from my google and gin in japanese means silver.
Old 13th March 2023, 09:32 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

"Gin" "jinn" "djinn" "genie" = the spirit that inhabits the sword. Some of my swords have powerful "jinn" that will rise up and protect me if I'm in danger.
Old 13th March 2023, 11:37 AM   #7
tanaruz

Default KRIS CEBU

Hello,

Ah! Yes.

My father has some pieces (kris, barung and a kampilan) which he says have these entities on them.

The kampilan which he has has a 'hole' in the middle of the blade, which is covered with brass (a djinn is said to be locked inside it) and the handle of this kampilan has a misbahah (Islamic prayer beads- like a rosary) attached to the hilt.

He also told me of a very old kris (in his personal collection)- that when he purchased it, and while driving in his car, there seems to be some 'presence' with him all throughout the journey.

Will post some pictures on these pieces.

Regards
Old 14th March 2023, 06:08 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves,

Not many people talk openly about spirits living in swords. I know there is traditional thinking on this subject, much of it not communicated outside the particular culture. Among Westerners there is a lot of skepticism, of course. I'm a Westerner, and all I can say is that I have experienced similar sensations to what your father describes, and other things too. I have no logical explanation as to why some swords "speak" to me.
Old 14th March 2023, 02:13 PM   #9
tanaruz

Default kris cebu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yves,

Not many people talk openly about spirits living in swords. I know there is traditional thinking on this subject, much of it not communicated outside the particular culture. Among Westerners there is a lot of skepticism, of course. I'm a Westerner, and all I can say is that I have experienced similar sensations to what your father describes, and other things too. I have no logical explanation as to why some swords "speak" to me.
Hello,

This is the kris that belongs to my father which he claims that he felt 'something' went with him while travelling from the seller's place to our home. My father told me that what he did was to 'talk' to the kris (I assume the entity/djin) on the blade. He informed the entity that he's just a caretaker of the blade, will treat it with utmost respect- and offered some items as a peace offering.
Attached Images

Old 15th March 2023, 09:10 AM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz View Post
Hello,

This is the kris that belongs to my father which he claims that he felt 'something' went with him while travelling from the seller's place to our home. My father told me that what he did was to 'talk' to the kris (I assume the entity/djin) on the blade. He informed the entity that he's just a caretaker of the blade, will treat it with utmost respect- and offered some items as a peace offering.
Your father is a very wise man.