Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th October 2018, 09:49 PM   #1
chiefheadknocker

Default A few questions about this moro kris

Here is another moro Kris that I have just acquired , I have some questions please , firstly to my eyes it looks like its missing the maybe silver decoration either end of the binding on the hilt or maybe its allways been like this , also the blade has some engraved decoration mostly arrows either side of the blade for the top 10 inches and what looks like a star at the top but very worn, I thought this was quite unusual , and the stirrup looks like its attached to the hilt with what looks like thick lizard skin ?
The sword looks old maybe 19th century ?
Attached Images

chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi chief:

I think your kris is Maranao in origin from the late 19th C., one of the "heavy-bladed" forms favored on Mindanao during that period and into the early 20th C. The striped banati wood pommel is very attractive and well rubbed from handling over time. As far as reptile skin being used on Moro hilts, I don't recall seeing that before.

The incised decorations on the blade are hard to make out, and better pics would definitely help.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Ian on the Maranao late 19th - early 20th century attribution.

The top silver band is missing and so is a bottom band, but the wrap might be original or later - hard to tell.

I also agree that better pictures of the blade on both sides would help so as to tell if the engravings are that or if they once had silver inlay.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

I really like these old straight bladed kris and totally agree with what both Ian and Jose have said about who, when and where this one was made. Looking at the photos you have posted I do not believe that any of the engraving shown ever held inlay. On the hilt bands, the missing top band like the existing baka-baka on your sword could have been made from copper to match. However a band made from brass, silver, gold or any number of alloys of these metals could also have been used. Do you see any holes in the wood where the top band would have been that might indicate that it was wrapped around the hilt and then small nails used to hold it in place? Looking at the hilt wrapping and how far it extends down the hilt whether it is original or a replacement the way this wrapping was applied to the hilt I do not believe a lower band was used. This of course is just my personal opinion and I could easily be wrong Any way you look at it this is a very nice addition to your collection, my congratulations for your good fortune in acquiring this piece.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually I wonder if the copper clamp might be a later replacement like the wrap.

And some Maranao and Maguindanao bands were indeed nailed to the pommels.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 08:07 PM   #6
chiefheadknocker

Thankyou all for your help with this sword , the engravings on the sword are very worn and hardly visible ,I will try to catch a better picture if I can . I cant see any holes above the binding ,I was thinking of trying to shape a and decorate a piece of silver for it but then if its not done right it will look odd , im really drawn to these moro swords ,they look great displayed , the missus doesn't show my enthusiasm though
chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefheadknocker
... I was thinking of trying to shape a and decorate a piece of silver for it but then if its not done right it will look odd ...
You might like to talk with Battara via PM or email about that.

Quote:
... the missus doesn't show my enthusiasm though
You are not alone in that department.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote