Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th January 2007, 06:21 AM   #1
FenrisWolf

Default Items from my collection - Pesh Kabz, Choora, Jambiya

Rather than clutter the board with separate threads each time I get some pictures taken, I'm just going to use one thread and update it as I get a montage done of each piece. Here's three to start.

First, a Choora from Afghanistan. I believe this is an older model for several of reasons. First, the blade is half again as long as most I've seen, a much more serious weapon. Second, the wire work on the hilt seems to be an older style, and there's none of the lacquer one sees on the newer pieces. Third, the rawhide covering of the scabbard is much tougher than the usual leather, and the bands of silver around the leather have actually corroded away in places from contact with its' owner's sweat.

Second is a Pesh Kabz from India, I suspect late 19th, maybe early 20th Century. Nothing flashy about it, just a solid, razor-sharp blade with a sturdy thrusting tip:

Third, a Jambiya I believe comes from the Balkans, based on what I've seen elsewhere. Again, nothing fancy though the brass scabbard is nice. There's a few old chips in the horn hilt, and a little staining around the tip.

That's all for now. I'll post more as I get pictures taken. If you know any more details about these particular blades, please comment, I'd love to learn more about them!

Last edited by FenrisWolf; 29th January 2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added info to title
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Flavio

Nice pieces Fenris, i like especially the choora!! Congratulations
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Valjhun

Very nice pieces indeed. I especcially like the true pesh kabz. Thoose curved are becoming RARE
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 07:44 PM   #4
FenrisWolf

Thanks! I really enjoy handling these pieces, thinking about how far they've travelled and what sort of lives their owners have lived.

I just snapped up a puloar from Afghanistan that was listed on Ebay; I don't have it in hand yet, but here are the pics from the listing:

Old 2nd February 2007, 10:29 PM   #5
FenrisWolf

No comments on the puloar which kind of disappointed me; maybe I'll have better luck getting some response on this item:

Just won it on ebay, first of these I've seen attributed to Afghanistan. The decoration is far cruder than the elaborately ingraved versions we see out of India proper, but I think I prefer the cruder version.
Old 12th February 2007, 10:51 PM   #6
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrisWolf
No comments on the puloar which kind of disappointed me; maybe I'll have better luck getting some response on this item:

Just won it on ebay, first of these I've seen attributed to Afghanistan. The decoration is far cruder than the elaborately ingraved versions we see out of India proper, but I think I prefer the cruder version.
Still no comments from anyone?

The shield arrived today and once again provided evidence of the thrifty nature of Afghan smiths. The basis of this rough but nicely domed shield was the end of a steel drum; I'll post better pics later, but if you look directly below the lower right-hand boss on the shield's face you can make out the letters "TH", part of a much larger stamped inscription that the armorer flattend but did not completely obscure. From the underside of the shield at that point I believe that the lettering surrounded the drum's spout which has been expertly patched prior to putting the boss in place. I think that's also why the spacin of the bosses is wider than usual for one of these, the smith was trying to make it symmetrical with the patch.

I'm going to leave this alone as much as possible, just give it a good coating gun conditioning oil to preserve the patina. I'm going to add a new strap to the back for hanging purposes, but that's it.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Emanuel

Hi Fenris,
I'll comment of the pouluar if I may. It looks like a very nice laminated blade...I wonder about the types of pattern welding done in India. We know the patterns of crystalline crucible steel, the pattern welded Turkish ribbon, but are there any named laminations in India? When you get it, look for any stamps pf the quillions and at the forte....
I like it, and I am looking for one to add to my collection...well any Indian tulwar will do actually, I like them a lot. Too bad the scabbard is missing on yours.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 06:24 AM   #8
FenrisWolf

Pics of the shield after a simple oiling gave it a bit of life:

Old 13th February 2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Pukka Bundook

Hi Fenris,
A bit of oil really brought the shield to life didn't it?!

RE. the pulour, I missed you posting this one, and very nice too!
(missed seeing it on e-bay or may have given you a run on it!!)

Hope to find a similar example some time. Very nice, Congrats!
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote