Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Pieje

Default Unknown statue

Hi all,

I have a statue of unknown origin. This is not a weapon, but I suspect that many collectors of ancient weapons do come across or do even collect other ethnographic things...any info will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Freddy

Arrow

I don't think it is an original African statue. I guess it was made for tourists (as so many pieces we find on ebay and other auction sites). It's probably not very old.

Your statue shows some features of the Pende-tribe in Congo. That is just by looking at the eyes. But, I have never seen or heard of a statue with a wig like yours.

Sorry for the bad news.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Pieje

Hi Freddy, thanks for your reply. I'm not even sure that the statue is African..it seems old to me, but I can be wrong.
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Indianajones

Hi Pieje, I am also with Freddy; it is African with features of Pende but its not the 'good old thing' as we all know what that means. Yes it looks old and may be from the 1960's but . . . . . . .
It cant allways be a winner! he he
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Pieje

Thanks...no problem, old or not, I like it, that's the most important if you buy something.
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Kipinga50

Smile

Hi Pieje,I agree with Freddy and indianajones, this statue is Pende and modern, the ancient appearance of the modern African pieces, statues such as weapons, is that counterfeiters bury the object, and wait for the earth and rain make their work on aging. These statues, like certain meets fake weapons are made of Ivory Coast and that in Cameroon and are imported in containers. Many African weapons are manufactured in Sicilia.
Kipinga50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:36 PM   #7
thinreadline

I agree with all the respondents on this . It looks old but this is very cleverly aged . I know of a guy who has a shop in the Portabello Rd , London who imports these from west Africa and sells them always with a story that appears to authenticate them though he never states that they are genuine .. his usual line is ... 'It was brought in by an old lady whose husband used to work for the Colonial Office in Nigeria etc etc ... '. You see him at many of the British militaria shows as well . They are so good and look so convincing to anyone not well versed with the originals .. but then you come to realise on further study, that stylistically they do not represent anything that is known to have been made in the past... they are fantasy pieces... good and decorative in their own right but not actually old.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote