Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st September 2012, 12:38 AM   #1
naborow

Default Indian Sacrificial? Sword

I think this substantial sword is called a Tegha. through lots of internet looking i found a similar one that said it was used to sacrifice buffaloes during the festival of Dussehra. The sword on the internet said it was Rajput. It is full of interesting figures. The main figure (in brass or gold?) looks like Krishna (with a flute?) Some of the other figures carry a trident, mace and lotus, and other Hindu god identifiers. But one image has what looks like angel wings? There is script (i think) on the top wide part of the blade which is not recognizable to me.
Any Information on age, use, location, maintenance would be most helpful
Attached Images

naborow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Emanuel

Hello,

Yes this type of tulwar is commonly known as a tegha. The rosette disk and the type of handle point to Rajasthan. For some time it was thought that these swords were used for executions, then for animal sacrifice. I'm not sure. The reinforced T-spine suggests it's meant for use, but the carved and brass decoration negates that. My thinking is that a heavily decorated blade is difficult to maintain and preserve from damage if it's used. These may therefore be better suited to display and ceremonial functions. They may have been bearing swords, or, if newer than 19th century, intended for sale and display only. Furthermore, I don't see any edge bevel. Is it sharp at all?

So late-19th century Rajasthan would be my most positive guess. Is the scabbard covered in canvas or some felt material? The former may suggest early-20th century.

The scratches on the "top wide part", the spine of the blade, are no script. They do not match the carving on the flat of the blade in style or quality so I'd be very suspicious of them, they seem to be a later addition.

In terms of conservation, you don't have to do much on the blade, only the handle needs some rust control. Wash with detergent and soft wire wool and finally wipe with mineral oil (baby oil) or WD40-type product to protect from further rust.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
naborow

The scabard is felt. there is a slight bevel to the blade, and sharp, but at the moment only fairly sharp towards the end. I'll try and post better pictures of the "scratchings" . These were reportedly purchased in India in 1906, so unlikely added after that.

thanks for your information
naborow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 04:52 AM   #4
bhushan_lawate

Hi,

I ended up responding on the previous thread and then i see these detailed pics....

But i guess you already have your answer on the script

The figures that you see on the blade are from the Hindu pantheon of gods associated with various incarnations of Lord Vishnu

The one with Mace is Balarama -- elder brother of Krishna.

The one with wings is Garuda -- The celestial vehicle of Vishnu

You are right with the one with Flute -- It is Krishna.

I'll need to dig in for details and need a lil better pic to figure out the other two.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bhushan
bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
sandeepsingh

The one with mace is monkey god HANUMAN if i am not wrong.

The one with trident in hand is BHERU JI

Thanks

Sandeep
sandeepsingh is offline   Reply With Quote