Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th November 2021, 11:14 PM   #1
cel7

Default VOC hanger advice

Hi,

had some luck today and bought this VOC hanger with the A for Amsterdam. Unfortunately it had a rough life. I think that the grip is not original.
Should I try to clean it (and take the risk that it won't get better and maybe even worse) or leave it as it is?

Thanks
Attached Images

cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2021, 12:23 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

My personal opinion, as everyone here knows, is do not overclean, simply stabilize with something light like WD40 which will clean and show the wonderful patina.
As a historian, this is well earned over time and I feel it should remain. a weapon garishly cleaned into shiny awfulness to me is bad.

The grip is indeed not very good, but it is something, otherwise this would simply be a 'relic'.

As many of these as were in service, its amazing how hard they are to find. Always tried to find anything with VOC markings but never did.
These blades were produced in either Solingen or German shops in Netherlands, I forget the names of the cities. They were not issued, as VOC was private company so were sold to the individuals, as I have understood.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2021, 02:50 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The stampings seem so crisp compared to the surface condition...
Agree w/Jim, leave it as it is.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2021, 08:49 AM   #4
cornelistromp

I would only treat it with crystalline wax, if you remove the patina it doesn't get any better. I would recommend to remove the wooden grip, this is a recent addition of the wrong model, it looks weird.

it should have a thin spiral grip on it. fe see attached example of a 1790 VOC Rotterdam cutlass and for others please see the thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22313

best,
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 15th November 2021 at 08:59 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2021, 11:07 AM   #5
cel7

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the advice! I'll just leave it as it is. I will also leave the grip alone for now.
cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 10:05 PM   #6
kai

Red face

I'm with Rick - compared to the corroded surfaces, the stamping seems exceptionally crisp. This may suggest a later (though also apparently not recent) addition.

If it's done later, it's a pretty good attempt. It does look more like a VOO (rather than VOC) though! Since these stamps were never standardized, maybe the C was just missing from the tool set and they had to use the O twice...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote