Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th August 2014, 06:34 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Solomon Islands, Malaita 'nose' (winged?) sword club

Busy day today. this club arrived late afternoon from a dealer in the netherlands. the 'eyebrows' & 'noses' either side of the tip,appear to be janus-like easter-islandish faces? or maybe wings.

Billed asonly info provided)

early 20th century wooden club Malaita Solomon Islands

Size: 95 cm or 37 inches

nice shiny polished finish, tool marks almost unnoticeable. weight 700 grams (1.56 lb.). nice thick lenticular cross section of the blade, round grip & pommel extension. small sliver of edge broken off at one edge of blade just above the 'eyebrows' and 'noses' near the tip about 2 " long.. exposed wood a very dark brown. blade is about 2 in. wide x 3/4" thick at the tip. no decorative carvings at all.

i really like this one. gripped just above the ring feels best, can used with your off hand on the pommel extension for 2-handed blows. no lanyard or fibre wrap. i've heard the 'noses' were used with a quick slap to the temples of an opponent to crush their skull there. the edges used to break bones elsewhere.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 04:03 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A NICE CLUB THAT LOOKS AUTHENTIC AND SHOWS SOME AGE. I AGREE WITH THE EASTER ISLAND JANUS MOAI DESIGN. I HAVE NOT READ ANYTHING ON THESE CLUBS SO DON'T KNOW MUCH BUT THEY ARE A LIGHT FAST SORT OF SWORD CLUB SUITABLE FOR FENCING NOT JUST A MASSIVE BONE BREAKER.
MOST I SEE ON EBAY THESE DAYS ARE MORE RECENT EXAMPLES AND USUALLY INCORPORATE THE CARVED DESIGNS WITH WHITE LIME INLAY TO ENHANCE THE DESIGNS. I GUESS THE FANCY ONES SELL BETTER SO THAT'S WHAT THEY MAKE. HERE IS A NICE EXAMPLE OF THIS FANCY TYPE, THIS MAY BE A NEWER OR OLDER ONE BUT I DON'T REALLY KNOW, IT IS 39.5 INCHES LONG AND HAS ALL THE DESIGNS AND SUCH.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 31st August 2014 at 04:13 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 06:38 PM   #3
kronckew

thanks, vanadoo, for the info.

p.s. - the sad face in my original post was unintended, forgot to add a space after the colon & before the left parenthesis. i'm a very happy clubber today.

like the face on your club, i am also smiling. <-(deliberate happy face)
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote