Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th July 2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default Piercing the temple of an elephant

On some royal Bundi katars from about 1850 an inscription is found, about piecing an elephants temple.
It has earlier been discussed on this forum, if this was possible. Below is the inscription on the katar. See my catalogue pp. 103-104, or see below.
"This terrible edged weapon in the hands of the king of Bundee, brings happiness to Bundee and is capable of piercing the temples of elephant's, hence it is called the tongue of death".

No so long ago I found the text below, while looking for Ratlam.
"Shah Jahan loved watching elephant fights and therefore held an event, choosing his favorit war elephants and inviting all the clans of Rajputana to watch. From the Rathore clan, Ratan Singh was chosen. At the beginning of the festival, one of the elephants (Keharkope) went berserk and headed towards Shah Jahan. No one in the crowd was brave enough to move to protect him. Everyone feared for their own lives and fled except Ratan Singh, who swiftly mounted the elephant. With his katar, Singh stabbed the elephant in its head and killed it. Shah Jahan saw this and was so impressed by his bravery that he gave him the entire state of Ratlam, proclaiming him as the king".

So maybe it is possible to kill an elephant in this way, but I would not like to try and mount a beserk elephant.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 05:03 PM   #2
kronckew

the mahouts carry a spiked ankus for just such a purpose, they drive it in just where the spine enters the head, to sever the spinal cord, instant kill. i suppose a strong man who knew what he was doing, with a sharp katar could do this fairly easily. once he was on top of the ellyfant. i'd say his reward was well earned. with the name 'singh', he was likely a sikh warrior or nihang and well capable of the feat.

modern mahout with a basic ankus. also a more regal one for the new king's next elephant ride.

i recall a tale of an 80 year old man in nepal who was attacked by a leopard. after skinning it and presenting the head as evidence to the local govt. to collect the 5 rupee bounty, he had his scratches dressed. moral: never attack an old nepali with a khukuri.

i know a very nice lady from nepal that i'd bet could behead the elephant
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 29th July 2017 at 05:24 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 11:57 PM   #3
Philip

Talking

I guess we'll just have to take the inscription at face value, since a "field test" is out of the question. Wrath of punctured ellyfunt is no match for the outrage that PETA will surely muster upon hearing of such. (Am wondering if that dentist who shot poor Cecil the Lion with his bow whilst on safari is living incognito somewhere under an assumed identity )
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 06:17 AM   #4
kronckew

Rant on:
=====

i'll have you know i am a member or PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.
not as yet tasted ellifunks tho. did eat a rather thick whale steak on cape cod once in my preteens, well before it became un-PC. it was delicious.

the other less reputable 'animal rights' PETA exists partly to keep people from having pets/companion animals which they'd rather kill than re-home. they even use scary bloody comic books they hand out to young kids titled such as 'your mommy murders animals'. they are worse than any kill shelter, and dispose of over 95% of animals surrendered to them for ostensible 're-homing', frequently as the drive away from the poor animals home where they've just promised the last owner who could no longer care for it, that they would of course find them a new loving forever home. then dumping the remains in the green wheelie bin behind the nearest fast food burger joint. and that's on a good day. their 'ethics' are poor at best. they mostly exist to collect money from the gullible luvvies.

Rant Off:
======

i suspect the idiot dentist is alive and well living elsewhere under an assumed name. hopefully under the care of a psychiatric professional. ignorance can be cured, but being the anal opening of a donkey is forever.

but we digress...el jefe will rap our knuckles with a ruler.

an observation: the mahout in multi-cam above would be better equipped if he cut off the extra wood above the ankus' head, the pokey bit would be a lot more effective.

Last edited by kronckew; 30th July 2017 at 06:31 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Philip

[QUOTE=kronckew]Rant on:
=====

i'll have you know i am a member or PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.
not as yet tasted ellifunks tho. did eat a rather thick whale steak on cape cod once in my preteens, well before it became un-PC. it was delicious.

=====

HAHA, rant may be O/T but hey, I'll sign up in your chapter of "PETA" anyday. Anything to get to wear one of the official T shirts in front of my vegan friends. I had whale meat on sushi in Honolulu during my college years and boy it was delicious. It's the "forbidden froot" now (sigh).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote