Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Two Very Interesting and Unusual Swords From Sumatra

I found these two pieces recently. I am attributing them both to Sumatra, though the larger one could have come from any number of places in the Indonesian archipelago, possibly. The other, with the 'long nose' pommel and guard is very specific to one region in Sumatra, but I cannot remember where....hoping VVV can help on this one.

So, what's unique, unusual, or "wierd" about them?? The larger one is huge for starters, far larger than most Sumatran parangs at 37in. overall, with a blade of 29.5in. The hilt is superb, but the eye catcher here is the likely 19th century German made blade....identical in basic style to what one would expect on a Sudanese kaskara!!! My first thoughts were that this was trade blade cut down to meet Sumatran style and specifications, but after having a sword expert(and forum member) have a look at the blade, he was convinced there was no evidence that this was ever "cut down", and he believed was manufactured in this manner for trade to Indonesian markets. I cannot vouch for that, but one thing is certain....trade was certainly involved and that's what I find so interesting.

The smaller one is more typical in size to a standard Sumatran parang. The hilt is unique in that I believe normally the elongated "nose" is not carved so profusely. I believe the blade's pamor is a somewhat rare "death shroud" pattern. Again, I am looking for a more specific attribution for this one.

Comments and input are welcomed!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 05:48 PM   #2
ronpakis

Default possibly palembang

acc to royal tropical institute in the netherlands.

gr Ron

Last edited by ronpakis; 18th May 2011 at 06:31 PM.
ronpakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

The longer one reminds me of a Kirach blade .
Really elegant carving and silverwork on the small one; that pamor has other less dire interpretations .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 06:02 PM   #4
katana

Charles the export blade is indeed interesting ....is it double edged ? or perhaps profiled to be originally double edged but only sharpened on one ? I assume that the blade is unmarked. Perhaps dimensions of the thickness and width of the blade might allow direct comparison to tri-fullered Kaskara / Tabouka.

All the best

David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 07:20 PM   #5
CharlesS

David,

The blade is just over 1.5in. wide at the hilt, and 3/16 of an inch thick hilt. The blade is, indeed, single edged -and razor sharp- until about 10 inches before the tip. There the last 10 inches of the spine are as sharp as the bottom edge, creating what I suppose we can call a false edge. I think that would allow one to argue that is was "made that way", of course that is not an absolute either.

Rick,

This blade profile on the larger one is a common one throughout the region, but especially in Sumatra. There are many variations of the tip, that is, variations as to where the downturn begins at the end of the blade. That one does have an elongated and elegant downturn, quite a bit like a kirach. Notice that both of these are very much alike in profile at first glance, but then the downturned spine is actually quite different on the two.

Please tell me more about this pamor...three people have seen it and instantly identified it as "death shroud"...would love to know more...
Old 18th May 2011, 07:31 PM   #6
VVV

Fantastic!!!

I have never seen the Palembang nose parang with either floral carving or a pamor blade before. Yours is also unusual based on the blade shape which on all other parang I have seen has been more resembling a wakizashi (see pict).
Except Palembang I have also seen it attributed to Benkulen/Bengkulu so I assume it was spread in that region. Several years ago I saw it listed as a "Pelitai".
Here is a reference picture from Tropen of a Rawas-chief from Palembang.

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 10:46 PM   #7
CharlesS

Thanks VVV...knew I could count on you!

Wasn't there a thread on these before...I looked for one but could not find it.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:26 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Charles, the "death shroud" thing is the product of misunderstanding.

This has been discussed at length in (probably) the Warung Kopi. It might have been raised in the old Forum too.

Very briefly the correct Javanese name of this "death shroud" pamor is "buntel mayat".

Buntel mayat means " a wrapping that slopes upwards". This is a perfect description of this pamor.

In Bali and Lombok where this pamor is most frequently found it named "tambangan Badung".

Badung is an administrative division of Bali, tambang is rope.

Popular misunderstanding has turned the name "buntel mayat" into "buntel mayit".

"mayit" means corpse, thus we have "corpse wrapping".

Buntel mayat pamor is a twisted pamor that has no visible core.

As far as I can judge from the photos, the pamor on your sword does have a core.

In my opinion the applicable Javanese name for this pamor is pandan iris :- sliced pandan.

Although this sword is from South Sumatera, and the pamor could well have a different name there, I feel that it may be legitimate to use the Javanese name, as there is a very long political association between South Sumatera and the Javanese courts.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 01:32 AM   #9
CharlesS

GREAT info A.G.........THANKS so much!