Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2014, 01:48 PM   #1
LJ

Default Athabascan knife

The recent post on a North American knife reminded me I was going to post this one with a query. It looks to me like an Athabascan knife (the sheath was probably made in England, mid 20th Century). The usual story seems to be that Athabascan knives were originally made in copper, and when iron became available the old shape was copied in the new material. But iron is much harder to work than copper, and I find it hard to believe that Athabascan smiths were making iron knives in the same shape all over the northern woodlands area. So, were they made in one place in Canada. Or mass produced in Birmingham or Sheffield [for instance] and shipped in by the Hudson Bay Company ? In which case, it is equally hard to believe somebody was willing to portage heavy boxes of knives over a vast area. So, does anybody have any more information on these knives??

p.s. the other side of the blade of this one is flat.
Attached Images

LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello LJ,

search with the keyword "tlingit" and you will find a few threads with this sort of daggers. I can't be from great help because I only know what I have read at this place and that I like this daggers! Yours (?) look very nice!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 04:34 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

IN THE EARLY DAYS SUCH A KNIFE WOULD HAVE BEEN PRESENTED TO A HIGH CHIEF ADDING TO THE PRESTIGE AND WEALTH OF THE TRIBE. THIS WOULD GAIN FAVOR FOR THE ONE PRESENTING SUCH A GREAT GIFT AND NO DOUBT SPECIAL TRADE AND TRAPPING PRIVILEGES WOULD BE GIVEN IN RETURN OR PERHAPS A WIFE.
SUCH KNIVES WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN COMMON TRADE GOODS CARRIED IN LARGE NUMBERS OR TRADED WILLY-NELLY TO JUST ANYONE.
DURING LATER YEARS WHEN SETTLEMENTS WITH A GOOD BLACKSMITH WERE PRESENT PERHAPS MORE OF THESE WERE MADE AND MAY HAVE EVEN BEEN COMMISSIONED BY THE TRIBES FOR GIFTS IN THEIR CEREMONIES.
TAKE THIS AS MOSTLY CONJECTURE AS i JUST DRAW IT FROM THINGS I READ IN THE PAST AND CAN NOT GIVE SPECIFIC REFERENCE SOURCES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 12:15 AM   #4
archer

Default Three styles of daggers

Hi, try this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13961

In it you can see the reinforced ridge started in copper appear for no reason in steel. the double bladed shakats also seem to lean toward fluted on both sides ?? Haida?? Fluted on one side only and I've never found a connection
to the single grooved daggers. The voluted curled double pommel seems to
appear throughout history in various locations around the world. There should be other threads regarding these knives here somewhere. Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 08:37 PM   #5
LJ

Very many thanks for the replies, and the leads to very interesting information. It has sorted out a few issues in my mind.

I'm now wondering whether my first prejudice (that the copper ones were 'originals', later copied in iron) was right; were daggers in fact made in both metals at the same period, but maybe used for different purposes?

The only thing I might add is this picture I found today in Jonathan King's book "First Peoples First Contacts". Engraved after a sketch by Frederick Whymper done in 1867, it shows Koyukon or Tanana River men hunting from canoes using these daggers
Attached Images

LJ is offline   Reply With Quote