Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
katana

Default OLD AXE ....but what type ? Tabar ?

Acquired this axe today.....looks to be a form of fighting weapon. The handle is obviously cut down....the remaining wood is very old with some worm.
The axe head is very well made ....with two side plates (to prevent cutting the head off ??) no markings, heavily oxidised, I've removed the active rust ...to reveal a very dark stabilised rust layer.

Head has a lot of fine pitting and certainly has some age and quality. Width 5" (12.5 cms), blade edge nearly 3" (7.5 cms) Weight including remains of handle is 1 3/4 lbs (800 grammes).

I wold be very grateful for any ideas to its origin .....could this be a Tabar or similar ??

Kind Regards
David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi David,
The general form of your axe looked vaguely familiar. I took this image of a fireman's axe off the net. If one removed the spike I think there is a general similarity even down to the slight belly on the side plate. This is just supposition on my part and I would prefer it to be a 'Tabar' but I get the feeling it is an early 20th Cent Fireman's Axe.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Atlantia

Yup, Norman is bang on the money there. Its an old firemans axe.
I've had a few over the years.
Wonder why the back spike is gone? Are there strike marks? Was it removed so it could be hit with a mallet to help splitting small logs, or so the axe could be reversed for a hammer back, or some other reason?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
katana

Hi Norman ,
thanks for the input. They do look very similar, if it is a fireman's axe the spike must have been removed very early in its life as the surface 'patina' is fairly uniform over the 'heads' entire surface.
I would estimate that the latest date for the axe.....judging by the oxidation, is likely mid / late 19th C. Will investigate to see if fire axes all have spikes....perhaps this is a less common variant or early version.

The head fitted to a longer handle would certainly make a fine saddle axe

Kind Regards David
Old 19th April 2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Atlantia

Not completely sure, but I think these are WW2ish up to about the 60s.
Could be earlier I guess or a proto?

Last edited by Atlantia; 19th April 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 11:38 PM   #6
katana

Hi Gene ,
thanks for your comments....a quick search on the net suggets that not all fire axes have the spike. The 'spike-less' type used to break locks or 'batter' the hinges of doors etc.

Interestingly Victorian firemen tended to be recuited from ex-naval personnel ....perhaps that is why the design of axe is often mis-ID'ed as a boarding axe, as the design was more 'familiar' to the 'Tars' and I suppose adopted.

All the best

David

PS I've resigned myself to the fact that the axe is not a weapon but it is nicely made .....and it did cost me the princely sum of 30 pence. ...so a little disappointed