Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2007, 11:38 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default Jalak Budo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmythesmith
Hi all! Ganja-many thanks! A jalak budo is on my "to do" list! My signature is more on the peksi, a little stupa.....
Dear Lemmy,
This new thread is especially for you, and all of you who "love" Jalak Budo. I hope my "nude" jalak budo will bring new inspiration for you to create the Brit Jalak Budo someday...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 11:53 AM   #2
ganjawulung

Default Jalak Budo and Wedung

Dear All,
This more angle of my third jalak budo, and also a special model of "keris" which we call it wedung. It is believed among some Javanese, that wedung is an "obligatory" dhapur to make for a keris empu...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 18th October 2007, 12:12 PM   #3
drdavid

Thank you Ganjawulung for showing these, they are most interesting. What period/age do you think these are from
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for showing the others Ganja. I believe we have seen the first one before, which is my favorite among the ones you show.
I will argue however that even with quotations around it that a wedung should not in any way be considered to be a special model of "keris".
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 09:29 PM   #5
lemmythesmith

Hi Ganja, thank you for posting these-very nice pieces!! I've just acquired some iron from Germany which ranges from 500-750 years old so it should be ideal for a jalak budo recreation, (along with the 'ol "sky iron") I understand these blades are not as long as later keris but are thicker and wider-can you supply some measurements?
lemmythesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 02:59 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Default The Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmythesmith
Hi Ganja, thank you for posting these-very nice pieces!! I've just acquired some iron from Germany which ranges from 500-750 years old so it should be ideal for a jalak budo recreation, (along with the 'ol "sky iron") I understand these blades are not as long as later keris but are thicker and wider-can you supply some measurements?
Dear Lemmy,
The first one -- the best of mine I think -- is only 11 inches (27,5 cm) long including the pesi. Without the pesi (including ganja and methuk), is only 9 inches.
The second one is bigger and wider but not thicker. It is 12,2 inches long (or 10 inches the blade and ganja not including the pesi) or total 30,5 cm long. And the third, as big as the first 11,5 inches.
The wedung? It has a normal size of such kind, it has 13 inches or 31 cm long...

Ganjawulung
Old 19th October 2007, 02:51 AM   #7
ganjawulung

Default On Wedung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Thanks for showing the others Ganja. I believe we have seen the first one before, which is my favorite among the ones you show.
I will argue however that even with quotations around it that a wedung should not in any way be considered to be a special model of "keris".
Yes David,
The first one I've shown once or twice before. On wedung, yes, may be it is not considered to be a special model of "keris". But it got much appreciation as pusaka too. Even it got better appreciation than tombak in javanese "perkerisan" (keris world). You may see from the picture which quoted from Raffles' book, The History of Java... (The picture below)

Among the young keris maker in Solo, it is regarded as an "obligatory" exercise (with quotation, on daily conversation only), for a keris maker. It looks simple, but not as simple as the appearance: not easy to make a good wedung.

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 19th October 2007, 02:31 AM   #8
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid
Thank you Ganjawulung for showing these, they are most interesting. What period/age do you think these are from
DrD
Dear Doctor,
This is the most difficult question to answer, doctor. Because we must argue while handling the blade... The first jalak budo, some of my friends speculated it came from Singasari era (13th century). Once again, this is only speculation on tangguh. Debatable.

The second is supposed from the younger period. And the third, still dubious whether it is a real old Jalak Budo or not. But quite sure, the material is old enough...

Ganjawulung