Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2009, 09:45 PM   #1
celtan

Default German Pre-WWI Artillery Sword

Howdy Guys,

FYVP

What I know: German Artillllery Sword, year 1907 "A la Blucher", originally based on the British 1796 saber.

What I don't know: Model? (M1854/1873?) Meaning of inscriptions?

Obviously it's weapon #110 from...

35st Rgmt. Motorized Infantry?

Has a really pleasant heft to it, being obviously designed for unpleasant work, not a court stroll.

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
BBJW

Here is mine. Bakelite grips. It also has 09 and the cipher of Kaiser Wilhelm on the spine. Also marked E & F Horster Solingen under the languet. This piece still has the original cosmoline on the blade. It had been in a museum since just after the Great War. It was a capture piece and I have the paperwork from the museum somewhere. I just can't lay my hands on it.

Cheers
bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 10:10 PM   #3
sabertasche

Hi BBJW and Celtan, your swords appear to be fairly common generic cavalry weapons associated with Imperial Germany. I believe you are right in that thier design is based on the British 1796 light cavalry sabre and the German copy of it, the so called Blucher pattern. The actual date of adoption escapes me as I don't have any books with me at this time. Both swords are simplified, moderized and adopted around 1898 or so.

According to "Imperial German Regimental Markings" by Jeff Noll,
R I.M. 35 110 would stand for Reserve - Infanterie - Munitionskolonne 35, weapon #110. Ths would be a support unit dealing with suppying ammunition and the sort to infantry units. They would be mounted on horseback hence the cavalry side arm.

The other sword looks to be associated with a Artillery unit. I'd be happy to look up the unit if I can get a clearer picture of the langet.

Cheers,

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 03:51 AM   #4
celtan

Thank you kindly, guys

I was starting to think this could be a Prussian M1873. Thanks for the translation, Sabertache..!

Manuel Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertasche
Hi BBJW and Celtan, your swords appear to be fairly common generic cavalry weapons associated with Imperial Germany. I believe you are right in that thier design is based on the British 1796 light cavalry sabre and the German copy of it, the so called Blucher pattern. The actual date of adoption escapes me as I don't have any books with me at this time. Both swords are simplified, moderized and adopted around 1898 or so.

According to "Imperial German Regimental Markings" by Jeff Noll,
R I.M. 35 110 would stand for Reserve - Infanterie - Munitionskolonne 35, weapon #110. Ths would be a support unit dealing with suppying ammunition and the sort to infantry units. They would be mounted on horseback hence the cavalry side arm.

The other sword looks to be associated with a Artillery unit. I'd be happy to look up the unit if I can get a clearer picture of the langet.

Cheers,

Greg
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote