Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Sulawesi Armor

I recently traded someone for this Sulawesi armored vest. He still has the catalog page that describes this as "antique", but i am much more inclined to use the word "vintage". I have no allusions that this particular vest was worn in battle, but i am curious to know when folks think this was made and for what market. The original price in the catalog was $1000 so it doesn't seem like an article that would be mass produced for the tourist trade. My friend paid much less of course in some clearance sale and i made a very reasonable trade with him. The materials seem to be bone scales over woven rattan. Came with the stand...
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I recently traded someone for this Sulawesi armored vest. He still has the catalog page that describes this as "antique", but i am much more inclined to use the word "vintage". I have no allusions that this particular vest was worn in battle, but i am curious to know when folks think this was made and for what market. The original price in the catalog was $1000 so it doesn't seem like an article that would be mass produced for the tourist trade. My friend paid much less of course in some clearance sale and i made a very reasonable trade with him. The materials seem to be bone scales over woven rattan. Came with the stand...
Hi David,

The ones I can remember were made of buffalohide/skin/leather (even with hair sometimes still on it), and the scales (which are bone on yours) were fastened with ratan instead of fiber.
When I find more, I'll let you know!

Ps. They also had (besides your type) the kind of armour made from iron rings, and sometimes with brass plates, similar to the moro armour.

Last edited by Maurice; 30th November 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
asomotif

Dear David,

Here 2 examples from the RMV Leiden collection.
one looks like bark with leather pieces with the hair still on it.

The other one is made from a fiber with leather fixed with rattan.

As for your example. the holes in the bone scales show no wear at all and to me they look like machine drilled.
The hennep wire use to fix them would probably not hold long when this is worn. I don't think this was made to be actually worn in a tribal context.

Best regards,
Willem
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 11:17 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Here are a few more that are more directly like my example in regards to material and construction. All of these are described at their sources (correctly or not) as early 20th century Toraja war vests. Doesn't mean they were used as such...
Attached Images

Old 1st December 2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Just LOVE the one at the bottom right!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
As for your example. the holes in the bone scales show no wear at all and to me they look like machine drilled.
The hennep wire use to fix them would probably not hold long when this is worn. I don't think this was made to be actually worn in a tribal context.
I would imagine that your examples from the museum are from a different island or culture since the materials and construction are somewhat different. Does the Leiden Collection get more specific about their origin?
I think you are no doubt correct that the holes where machine drilled. I would imagine that all of these (my examples) are post WWII. But if these were not made for a tribal context, then for what? This vest weighs a ton as i am sure the other Toraja bone examples do. Seems unlikely to be something the average tourist would want to add to their luggage weight. Since i am able to find numerous examples of this particular style of Toraja vest, what market were they aimed at?
Old 1st December 2012, 01:44 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Here are references to these Toraja war vest from an internet site quoting the books mentioned:
* Bangs & Kallen 1988 p153
"Each time another family was ready to make its offerings, a new parade was organized to follow the same route through town. The parade was led by a small group of dancing warriors, each with an elaborate headdress symbolic of buffalo horns on his head."

* Power and Gold 1988 p132
"Buffalo horns were also important components of Sa'dan 'war suits' baju pa'barani). At one level these costumes provided soldiers with actual armor (the vest is reinforced with shell disks). At another, the ensemble afforded the warrior a number of magical amulets for repelling the mystical threats of enemy soldiers and spellcasters: the hat is topped with buffalo horns, symbolizing luck and success; the boar-tusk necklace plays on themes of fierceness; and the shells on the jacket have magical protective qualities."
http://www.forensicfashion.com/1907S...jaWarrior.html

The Toraja people have many public rituals and processions. I wonder if in later years these became more ritual costume than items built to withstand real combat.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I would imagine that your examples from the museum are from a different island or culture since the materials and construction are somewhat different. Does the Leiden Collection get more specific about their origin?
Hello David,
The first one from RMV has nr. 2206-7 / buffalo skin / rotan
Area : Towuti lake / Sulawesi

The second one : 3512-49 / treebark, rottan / skin
Area Sulwesi Timur

Unfortunately no age indication.
Maybe Maurice can check in the Juynboll

Best regards,
Willem
Old 1st December 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE SEEN QUITE A FEW OF THESE ON EBAY MOSTLY FROM INDONESIA,AND BORNEO. I SUSPECT MOST WERE RECENT ITEMS EITHER FOR TOURISTS OR PERHAPS CEREMONY IN SOME CASES. THEY ARE USED FOR PARADES AND SHOWS FOR TOURISTS WHERE TOURISTS ARE AVAILABLE. HERE ARE SEVERAL EXAMPLES AS WELL AS TORAJA WARRIORS IN FULL REGALIA. BONE, SHELL, HORN AND SEA BEANS ARE USED AS ARMOR PLATES.
THE EXAMPLE WITH WELL CARVED FIGURES ON EACH PLATE WAS FROM BORNEO AND I HAVE SEEN A DAYAK BABY CARRIER WITH THE SAME CARVED PLATES AS WELL. NOTE THE USE OF BUFFALOW TEETH FOR DECORATION ON ONE AND THE SPIKEY COLLAR ON THE SET ON THE MANEQUIN.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 1st December 2012 at 03:44 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Barry. I knew you had posted one of these before. Here is one more just for the collection...
Attached Images

Old 1st December 2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Even if for parade or ceremonial usage, the carvings on some of these are superior!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:27 PM   #12
asomotif

Once more RMV collection.

A picture of Toradja armour made in 1911.
Attached Images