FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th July 2009, 05:46 PM   #31
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
BTW, How about the thesis of Cecas ?

Can we have a peek at the thesis ?

Would love to see some more examples of kerisholders by the way.
For me keris, is just something on the side. There must be collectors on the forum with better examples ?

Best regards,
Willem
It does seem that Cecas hasn't posted here for well over a year. It is probable that he isn't watching these boards anymore having gotten the info he was looking for. I will try his e-mail addy to see if he is indeed still out there.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 08:14 PM   #32
asomotif

Quote:
Willem, i'm not convinced this is a lady at all. "She" is pretty flat-chested for a woman.
Mmmm.... That is rather sexist remark

It was not the chest, but the lower back side that made me say "Lady" .

But seriously, I am a complete dummy on balinese dress, but the overall feeling to me was feminin. Am I wrong ?
And the seller sold it to me as a "danseres". Sort of hearsay
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 09:10 PM   #33
Tatyana Dianova

I have an old Hanuman carving which looks just like a Keris holder. The only problem is its size – it is less than 30 cm high! Maybe it was meant as a talismanic Keris holder – if such small Keris exist? But anyway it is a nice woodwork to share…
Attached Images

Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 09:15 PM   #34
asomotif

Nice carving.

Is it heavy wood ?

Maybe meant for a tombak / spearhead ?
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 09:21 PM   #35
Tatyana Dianova

Let’s say the wood is not very light and not very heavy, somewhere in the middle (but closer to heavy). The opening in the hand is only ca. 5 mm in diameter… The ebay seller has written in the description that this carving was in her family since 1930th and was brought by her family member from Java trip…
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 11:19 PM   #36
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Mmmm.... That is rather sexist remark
Heavens, i do hope not!
Certainly no sexism implied. But the upper torso here does not look feminine to me. I do see what you mean about the backside. I am also no expert on Bali dress, but men did wear sarongs.
Tatyana, that carving is beautiful. I would say that it was probably meant to hold some type of talisman, but it would have to be small.
I have sent an e-mail to Cecas. We will see if there is a reply. I would like to think the best, but often enough researcher come on board here, use us and forget us. Just the way of the world i suppose.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:37 PM   #37
cecas24

Default thesis still in progress

Hello All,

I want to thank everyone, especially Mr. Maisey for their help with my research work. I promise I never forgot you all, I haven't been on the site recently but for awhile I was returning to view more pictures or to see if anyone had any new information.

My thesis is actually still in the works. The head of my committee got a fellowship in MA for 2 yrs (I go to college in Alabama) so progress has been slow b/c part of her fellowship requires her to travel to India alot. Needless to say any drafts I send are returned months later. However, I looks like the full draft will be ready at the end of September and I have plans to defend in November. If all goes well, and the work is accepted I will be happy to share my work with you.

Also, if anyone has any new kris holders or wooden scultptures that are representations of the Balinese goddess Bathari Durga, I'd love to see them.

Thanks,

CC
cecas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 11:55 PM   #38
cecas24

Default date of this Hanuman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
A well placed, if questionably spelled, bump Jussi.
Here's my Hanuman which i never got around to posting when this thread was fresh.
David,

I very much like this image of Hanuman! Where did you acquire this piece and do you know when it was made?
cecas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 12:24 AM   #39
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecas24
David,

I very much like this image of Hanuman! Where did you acquire this piece and do you know when it was made?
Hi Cecas! So glad to know that you have not deserted us. I was hoping my e-mail would bring you back, but at the same time i was prepared for the general reality of the hard, cruel world.
I am afraid i cannot tell you too much about my Hanuman. I purchased it from a dealer in California. It's not particularly old, but i like the carving and the way it has been painted.