Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th November 2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Athanase

Default Cirebon hilt?

Hello,

Here is the grip of my new Kriss.
The sheath is very much worn (it is broken and half of the wrangka is missing) but it looks like Cirebon's style.
I think the handle comes from the north of Java but I'm not sure because I've never seen a similar one.
What do you think?
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Jean

Yes, it looks a rare and old specimen of raksasa hilt from Northern Java, congratulations!
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Athanase

Ok thank-you.
It's very good news, I'm very happy because I bought it at a very moderate price from blurred photo. It was a winning bet.
Here is an overview of the kriss. The blade presents 2 different pamors :
- the one in "triangle" which is very visible at the base,
- and another almost invisible on the blade and which seems to be of the type Uler Lulut ?? or Segara Wedi ??
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 09:28 AM   #4
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanase
Ok thank-you.
It's very good news, I'm very happy because I bought it at a very moderate price from blurred photo. It was a winning bet.
Here is an overview of the kriss. The blade presents 2 different pamors :
- the one in "triangle" which is very visible at the base,
- and another almost invisible on the blade and which seems to be of the type Uler Lulut ?? or Segara Wedi ??
Hi Anastase,
The blade is original and old, and typical of the Northern/ West Java area with its 9 very shallow waves but the pamor pattern looks too indistinct on the pic (too much light reflection) for being able to confirm your identification.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 27th November 2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 26th November 2017, 09:51 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

In Javanese/Balinese art motifs, a figure with fangs is identifiable as demon.

Raksasa is a male ogre, raksasi is a female ogre, an ogre is actually a monster that eats human flesh.

Thus when we call these types of hilts "raksasa" we're being pretty general, its pretty loose terminology.Maybe a bit more "Collectorese".

If we look at origins and turn to Hindu beliefs, what we find is that rakshasas & rakshasis are shape shifters, and not all of them are necessarily bad guys.

If we were going to get really pedantic we probably should only use the term "raksasa" for demons that haunt cemeteries and eat human flesh.

Anyway, Athanase's hilt has got fangs, thus it is a demon. Raksasa is probably OK. If we don't call him a raksasa, what do we call him?

Squatting ancestor with fangs Jean? Interesting idea.

Ancestors eventually become one with their deities, and often are depicted in pit burial mode. But with fangs?

So why are these demons used as hilt figures? Are they all demons? Maybe they're guardians? Or maybe they really are demons and their purpose is keep the really bad guys away from the sacred Meru.Lots of room there for discussion.

I think we've visited this previously.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Marcokeris

another Cirebon
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

Raksasa is a male ogre, raksasi is a female ogre, an ogre is actually a monster that eats human flesh.

Thus when we call these types of hilts "raksasa" we're being pretty general, its pretty loose terminology.Maybe a bit more "Collectorese".

If we look at origins and turn to Hindu beliefs, what we find is that rakshasas & rakshasis are shape shifters, and not all of them are necessarily bad guys.

If we were going to get really pedantic we probably should only use the term "raksasa" for demons that haunt cemeteries and eat human flesh.

Anyway, Athanase's hilt has got fangs, thus it is a demon. Raksasa is probably OK. If we don't call him a raksasa, what do we call him?

Ancestors eventually become one with their deities, and often are depicted in pit burial mode. But with fangs?

So why are these demons used as hilt figures? Are they all demons? Maybe they're guardians? Or maybe they really are demons and their purpose is keep the really bad guys away from the sacred Meru.Lots of room there for discussion.

Thank you Alan, and demon is indeed a better generic term than raksasa or ancestor. Do you know what "buta bajang" (the local name for these squatting demon hilts) mean?
I attach the pic of an old raksasa hilt (holding a human arm in his left hand).
Regards
Attached Images

Old 26th November 2017, 01:11 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:

Well Alan, you bring up exactly why i asked the question of Jean to begin with. When figures begin to attract i suppose there is always room for interpretation. Fangs? I'm not convinced i am seeing fangs on Athanase's figure. Yes there are what appear to be a couple of curved shapes near the corners of the mouth, but i'm really just not sure. Are they intended to be fangs? Maybe, maybe not. If i saw better photos or had it in hand perhaps i would see it differently.
And then there is the head dress. I just don't think i have ever seen a raksasa (or what we collectors generally consider raksasa) with such an elaborate head dress or crown. It's usually just long hair.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 05:45 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
This is indeed an interesting question and perhaps one we can only speculate about. At the risk of making a cross-cultural faux pas, as clearly the diffferences between Eastern and Western thought are vast, we might compare concepts of demonology in such renaissance era writings at the Key of Solomon and the Lesser Key of Solomon (which make claims, however spurious, of dating back to the biblical king himself). These books deal with sigils and signs used to call various demons and put them under human command to to the bidding of the conjurer. Yes, perhaps a dangerous and reckless endeavor. But perhaps the idea is somewhat similar, that these Javanese demons, raksasa and otherwise, can but controlled symbolically in these represented forms to protect and serve their human masters. Maybe an off-base idea, but an notion none the less.
Old 26th November 2017, 04:06 AM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Yes, it looks a rare and old specimen of raksasa hilt from Northern Java, congratulations!
Hi Jean. I'm wondering what about this hilt makes you specifically identify it as a raksasa?
Definitely a lovely, old and unusual hilt. I would agree that it looks Northern Jawa. And i just love the face on this guy!
Old 26th November 2017, 09:14 AM   #11
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hi Jean. I'm wondering what about this hilt makes you specifically identify it as a raksasa?
Definitely a lovely, old and unusual hilt. I would agree that it looks Northern Jawa. And i just love the face on this guy!
Hi David,
I used the generic term raksasa to mean a forest demon covered with vegetation, this hilt is similar to the buta bajang style (squatting ancestor with bulged eyes) but with a different face, hairdress, and decoration which makes it peculiar. It is also different from the raksasa style hilts with crossed arms (see pic).
Regards
Attached Images

Old 26th November 2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Marcokeris

another Cirebon hilt
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 11:44 AM   #13
kai

Question

Hello Marco,

Very nice hilt, especially the piece from #7! This one appears to be considerably older than the other examples in this thread - maybe you could add close-ups from the other sides here or in a separate thread, please?

Quote:
another Cirebon hilt
What makes you narrow down their origin to Cirebon? (Vs. Banten or any other other cultural centers in the sphere of Sunda influence? Or other busy trading ports along the coast of northern Java, that is?)

And, yes, I'm still hoping on Christmas for finally reading your book...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote