Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 27th February 2010, 03:51 PM   #1
junker

Default Axe Display

Hello,
the post of the boarding axe let me to the question how to display axes.
I have some with different length (handle from 1,5 m to 25 cm) but no idea how i can display them, but some simple nails on the wall.
Have anyone of you a good example ?
regards
Dirk
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
broadaxe

Having just a few axes myself, I tried several methods and what you can see in the photo works best for me. These are segments of security fence, made of welded, hardend steel rods. Each segment is 2X1m. I had cut the raw finials, welded six ferrules on each segment (to fit on the wall with screws and wall-plugs) and spray-painted the whole thing white. It can hold a lot of weight and it gives flexibility of arrangement.
Another way is to screw long, paralell wood strips and put nails into them.
Attached Images

broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 04:14 AM   #3
M ELEY

Holy Cow, BroadAxe! Just "a few" axes

I especially like some of your smaller bearded axes. Do you happen to have a copy of Hartzler and Knowles book on frontier axes/tomahawks? The second edition is more affordable. has more pics in it and is definitely worth the buy.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 08:35 AM   #4
broadaxe

Yep, a few indeed
The photo was taken at my old appartment. I had moved several months ago and brought the same system of display to my new place, now the method of arrange is more systematic.
I'm looking toaday also after smaller axes, I have some peculiar finds.
I do have that book, it is the revised edition and signed by Hartzler. I use it often.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:44 AM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
Yep, a few indeed
The photo was taken at my old appartment. I had moved several months ago and brought the same system of display to my new place, now the method of arrange is more systematic.
I'm looking toaday also after smaller axes, I have some peculiar finds.
I do have that book, it is the revised edition and signed by Hartzler. I use it often.

Hi broadaxe,

Your user name should say it all but now we got the proof: very well done!!!

I would be glad if you shared the new arrangement with us and would be especially interested in your earliest pieces which are sadly cut off in your present image.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
broadaxe

Thanks Michael
Well, as I wrote above, I use today the same way of dispaly, but I made an attempt to arrange the axes in a thematic/geographic order. It is better now than before, but since space is, after all, limited, I had no chioce but to spoil the good order for the sake of space. Nevertheless, I'll make some photos for you all to see, along your request. If by any chance I forget, say within 3-4 days, do not hesitate to nag me through PM. Happy holidays!
Old 28th February 2010, 06:00 PM   #7
junker

Default thanks

Hi broadaxe,
thanks for your idea.
Because they are too heavy axes will lie in my cupboard since now. This one is the biggest one and need a lot of place in it, so i search for a different kind of displaying it.
The seller told me it was used by fishermans, but i wont agree with that.
Dirk
Attached Images

junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 10:33 AM   #8
broadaxe

Fisherman's? good one... fishermen used mostly large cleavers, sometimes of special form. Here in Israel, they like the british WWII machetes.
I have to see its other side and geometry - is it canted, "side axe", or symmetrical.
Either way, it is a very nice european woodworking axe, judging from it shape to be 17th to late 18th century. That shape has currently been defined as "beheading axe" (not so wrongly though).
Weight & size of the axes are the reasons I have chosen the fence segments - it is very strong, can support the weight and also distribute the weight suspended from the wall. Wood beams will do as close.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker
Hi broadaxe,
thanks for your idea.
Because they are too heavy axes will lie in my cupboard since now. This one is the biggest one and need a lot of place in it, so i search for a different kind of displaying it.
The seller told me it was used by fishermans, but i wont agree with that.
Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Maybe 13th to 14th century - by the latest.

Congrats and best wishes,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote