Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th March 2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Green

Default kris with unusual blade decoration

This kris was auctioned today and it was sold for a relatively hefty hammer price of Euro 2,200 (not to me). What struck me is the unusual blade decoration . Does anyone has similarly decorated blades. ? If so, would love to see them here.

Is this a genuine kris decoration and if so, by which tribes? or it is just mere fanciful decoration commissioned by some rich people ?
Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 09:21 PM   #2
xasterix

Looks legit. And old. I'm not a kalis expert, but to my knowledge there were only three tribes in that time period which made such. Maguindanao, Maranao, and Tausug. The kalis addicts in this forum will help you ID it further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
This kris was auctioned today and it was sold for a relatively hefty hammer price of Euro 2,200 (not to me). What struck me is the unusual blade decoration . Does anyone has similarly decorated blades. ? If so, would love to see them here.

Is this a genuine kris decoration and if so, by which tribes? or it is just mere fanciful decoration commissioned by some rich people ?
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 10:28 PM   #3
kai

Hello Nik,

The blade and fittings are old (the scabbard bindings probably replaced later) - looks Tausug.

Inlay is usually assumed to signify datu (or higher) status pieces. The brass here exhibits common motifs; coverage is quite a bit more extensive than usually seen. I hope the new owner will post more close-ups.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I also wonder if the grip wrap is a later replacement, though not as sure.

Yes wealthy non-datu warriors can have such pieces made as long as they do not do showy fittings above their station.

As far as tribe is concerned, I would say at least the blade is Maguindanao (and possibly the scabbard as well).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 03:42 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

The quality of the hilt belies the fanciness of the blade, and I'm inclined to agree with Battara that the hilt may be an (old) replacement. This could be a Malay version of the kris rather than Moro.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 04:06 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ian, I was thinking that the inlay was a little different, though variations are common. However, the blade does not look Malay sundang to me. Also the scabbard looks more Moro than Malay to me.

Guess anything is possible though..........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote