Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2013, 03:13 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Yemeni Knife for Comment and Translation Please

Have just added this Yemeni knife to the collection and am looking for comment, and translation if possible please. The blade appears to have been made from a file, and the handle is silver.
I would call this a SHAFRA but if there is a correct Yemeni terminology, then would like to know what that is please.
Thanks in advance.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
ariel

Shafra, kusha....

Can you decribe how is the blade secured within the handle?

Thanks.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 09:02 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Shafra, kusha....

Can you decribe how is the blade secured within the handle?

Thanks.
Hi Ariel,
The blade is sandwiched between two pieces of wood and the silver handle is a sleeve over that. Hope this describes what you wish to know.
Regards Stu
Old 21st May 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
ariel

Thanks. Can you show the wood? The is a recent profusion of similar handles on e-bay: want to see the "aging"
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:39 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Thanks. Can you show the wood? The is a recent profusion of similar handles on e-bay: want to see the "aging"
Pic of internal handle shown below. The wood is not old IMHO and is attached to the blade with two metal pegs. The whole assembly is then inserted into the handle and held by friction only...no glue of any sort, at least in the one I have.
These knives are not that old I think, possibly mid to late 20th century, though they could well be modern made versions of earlier types. Steve Gracie's book Jambiya The Ancient Souks of Yemen shows a pic of a shop which has several of these displayed for sale. They are obviously still being made today, as are jambiya.
Attached Images

Old 26th May 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Default Translation

Arabic I am told is a name YOUSEF FUDHA YAL.
Comment does not seem forthcoming... Pity as I had hoped to glean some more info on these knives................
Old 26th May 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Arabic I am told is a name YOUSEF FUDHA YAL.
Comment does not seem forthcoming... Pity as I had hoped to glean some more info on these knives................

Salaams kahnjar1, The Shafra work knife style although specific to Southern Arabia don't seem to spill over into Oman at all...( not in that design anyway), however, what are similar are the small clusters of stacked ball silver.. The ancient design taken by the Omani artisans from Mulberry fruit clusters (common in Oman) into silver design and seen on Jewelry, Khanjars etc. Oddly enough the closest resemblance is in a work knife from the Mussandam called after the dominant tribe... Shehi.

In a related thread I note Artzis comment that Quote "This small knife is called in Arabic as Shafra or Kusha. (There is also a thinner weapon called Al Huarthi). It is carried in attached to the rear side of the wide belt behind the Jambiya (Khanjar) dagger. It is found all over The Arabian peninsula in varying shapes. Here the blade is 5 inches long, heavy, down curving with a shallow fuller. The grip is engraved silver. This dagger comes in a well made leather covered scabbard. Total length 9 ½ inches. It should be noted here that several sources (Stone, Egerton and others) identify this type of knife as Nepali, probably due to the blade shape and curvature. Very good condition. Old age patina on the blade" Unquote.

see http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1891 (and library under Shafra) .

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 26th May 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote