Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Bettendorf

Default Tibetan or Mongolian knives?

I'd first like to say thank you for letting me join this site. I'm not a knife collector although I do have some neat knifes and bayonets but I'm more a firearms collector myself.

I picked this knives up from a pawn shop earlier this week as an impulse buy because they looked too neat to leave sit there. I took them both home for $80 and was a lot less they the owner was asking for them.

After searching on other websites and this one, I've learned that they must either be Tibetan or Mongolian. Can someone clear this up for me?

Also, can someone tell me if they think these are made for tourists or are the genuine utility knives, how old and maybe value?

Now here comes the description. Appears to be some type of bone handles, metal sheath and inside the sheaths is wood (some of it rotted). The red strap doesn't appear to be original at all while the other does. Lot's of patina on these guys and some pitting of the blade.

Thanks for looking!
Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 07:01 AM   #2
sisi_d

Hi Bettendorf,
I think that these are authentic Tibetan knives of the late 19th, early 20th century. Typical of them is hand made Blade, bone's handle, scabard made from metal, wood, leather and silver. I think it is worth your purchase.Here is another Tibetan knife from the late 19th century.
Attached Images

sisi_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I also think these knives are genuine utility knives. Here's my example. I don't think these are as old as 19th century though. More likely mid 20th C.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Bettendorf

The next time you post photos on the forum please use our manage attachment tools. You should not link to photobucket there is a chance your photos could be lost. Please read the rules on posting photos.

Thanks

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Maskell

Gentleman,

I have a small pile of these, they were all purchased in Tibet about 10 years ago and I was told that some folks were still wearing and using these at that time but the people there are fast modernizing. These date from late 19 th to late 20 th century.

Best,
Jerry
Attached Images

Maskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Bettendorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskell
Gentleman,

I have a small pile of these, they were all purchased in Tibet about 10 years ago and I was told that some folks were still wearing and using these at that time but the people there are fast modernizing. These date from late 19 th to late 20 th century.

Best,
Jerry
Nice grouping there, Jerry.

I appreciate everyone's input. I hope everyony had a nice weekend!
Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote