Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th September 2010, 12:30 PM   #1
imas560

Default Barong Dimensions Please

Hello,
am currently working on a project with a friend making a modified barong. Was wondering if I could get some info on a couple of live barongs in relation to
overall length
blade length
point of balance
overall weight
Am really keen on the point of balance info or what would best characterise the handling aspect of the blade.
Any help greatly appreciated
thanks
imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
kai

Ok, just to get the ball rolling:

19th c. Samal warrior's barung (minute crest on pommel, regular silver ferrule+sleeve):
overall length 53.8 cm (21.2 inches)
blade length 38.3 cm (15.1)
point of balance 9.6 cm from hilt (3.8)
overall weight 644 g (1p 6oz)

Quote:
Am really keen on the point of balance info or what would best characterise the handling aspect of the blade.
One of the faster barung I've handled - still these are blades to follow the flow with...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:15 AM   #3
imas560

Thanks Kai.
We've been debating (3 FMA practitioners) about barong/barung characteristics. Gleaning info from different sources like Cato's "Moro Swords", different FMA texts (Master Rey Galangs great books, Inosanto, Wiley, Diego/Ricketts), styles (predominantly Bahad Zu'bu/Bakbakan/Ilustrisimo) and online resources we're trying to determine for ourselves what defined a fighting Moro type barong/barung and how it was used.
Is it possible to post the dimensions for the thickness of the spine at the hilt, the widest point of the blade and 2cm from the tip?

Last edited by imas560; 23rd September 2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Spelling, Additional Question
imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
ThePepperSkull

using those sources alone I think it would be difficult to try and figure out how these blades were used.

From what I have seen, Moro Silat is more similar to just that -- Silat. Pentjak silat styles of Indonesia and some bruneian silat that I have seen, to me, seem far more similar in terms of fighting.

Modern Arnis/Eskrima styles are very visayan in influence, as well as european in influence via spaniard swordplay. many arnisadors use moro weaponry in demonstarions because of how iconic they have become as symbols of philippine martial arts. More iconic that say, something a little more obscure like a Minasbad or Aklanon Taribung or Samar Talibon, even if those choices would be more appropriate..

Using both eskrima and silat as sources with wish to hypothesize a more acurate portrayal on how this particular blade was used, in my opinion, is best. You use the Arnis as a comparison to the Silat and from there you can weed out the european influenced techniques present in the eskrima you are using.

Another good resource is cecil quirino's "Crossing The Sulu Seas".
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote