Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 21st February 2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Cerjak

Default Pattern 1679 French Cavalry sword of Wallonne type ?

Pattern 1679 French Cavalry sword of Wallonne type ?
This sword had been auctioned with the following description “EPEE WALLONNE DE CAVALERIE modèle 1679 France Louis XIV et Louis XV”
O.L. 103 cm ; blade L. 90 cm; blade width at hilt 2.9 cm
Blade marks: Passau wolf and I O H A N
The shape of the sword is very similar to a Dutch Wallonne see :http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22074 but the dimensions are different the guard ,grip and blade wide are smaller ( the blade with only 2.9 cm at hilt and the guard about 3 cm less.
Any comment on it would be welcome

best
Cerjak
Attached Images

Last edited by Cerjak; 21st February 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding Jean Luc!!! very nice example and thank you for adding the exerpt from Aries, much appreciated to have such detail along with postings. Also very grateful for the continued virtual parade of weapons you add here, giving us wonderful opportunities to examine, observe and learn.
I look forward to them very much!

The four crosses in that configuration suggest this being Dutch, despite the running wolf and IOHAN suggesting of course Solingen blade. Blades for the Dutch were often of course produced in centers there by Solingen craftsmen who had emigrated there. The use of the running wolf very much in the manner of the German makers who produced swords in Shotley Bridge in England (using the wolf).

As noted, it seems, if I recall, the French adopted the form, actually it was they who coined the term 'walloon' for the people in Flanders I believe who used these (need to check refs). As with many 'regulation' patterns, often sword forms which were already extant and in use for years became officially declared a 'pattern' in accord with whatever year these administrative matters were set forth. Often such records became lost or another pattern superceding the existing form in use was officially proposed.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st February 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote