Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:07 PM   #1
Green

Default Sunginggan - six degrees of separation

Yet another interesting auction held today. This time it was "the Zimmermann collection of Eastern and African weapons". A couple of kerisses that I was watching went pass my comfort zone so I let em pass (choteng hilted & a sumatera keris without scabbard) but there was this sunggingan that nobody was interested in , but looked quite fine to my eyes. Although this type is not in my collecting area, the keris looked very pleasing and so I bid and won .

And here are my questions:

1) Who is/was this Mr Zimmermann?

2) As I know absolutely nothing about sunggingan I had a look at an old thread on this topic in this forum and learnt quite a bit but it did not answer some of my questions

The decoration of this one is very much understated compared to the rest that I saw on the net which are invariably flamboyant and too ostentatious to my taste. Is this one "old"?

Interestingly (to me) while reading the thread above, I saw an entry by Vandoo (may 2013) showing the photo of this very keris and he couldn't recall where he got the pic from (so now we know !!).

3) What is the pamor type? The keris was stated as Balinese but the scabbard isn't. So is the blade balinese or madura? (As I think the sarong is?) or what?

4) According to Mr Alan Maisey color codes, looks like this one might probably came from the royalty (Red and gold) Is it correct to assume this?

appreciate your comments/explanations.

Nik
Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote