Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st July 2017, 02:14 AM   #1
estcrh

Default The sales and shipping of swords to the USA??

Just the other day I purchased a sword from a forum member who lives in England, he was going to ship and then suddenly he refunded my payment, his reason was......
Quote:
U.K. Law has changed to banning public sale of swords.
Parcelforce,dpd, dhl, ups list them as restricted items even if they are antiques. Each have said there would be an issue at US customs at point of entry and in that eventuality they couldn't cover the value of the sword
I have purchased swords and daggers very recently from England and had no problem with getting them shipped to me, does anyone here have any info on this supposed situation that the seller is claiming??? Any help would be appreciated as I would like to clear this up, thanks!!!
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 02:41 AM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Seller's Remorse?

I have very recently had swords coming from Europe to the US via the postal system and there have been no inbound US Customs issues. For ethnographic specimens, use tariff code 9705.00.00.70 to expedite processing.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 03:04 AM   #3
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I have very recently had swords coming from Europe to the US via the postal system and there have been no inbound US Customs issues. For ethnographic specimens, use tariff code 9705.00.00.70 to expedite processing.
I have just recently purchased a sword from Stefan (Ashoka Arts) who lives in England and it arrived in the US without any problem. I know of Ebay sellers who are in England and they sell swords for export without any problem as far as I know. I just wanted to see if anyone had a problem or heard of any recent problems selling swords from England to US buyers, I think the seller I was dealing with was given bad information (not unusual).
Old 31st July 2017, 05:18 AM   #4
Philip

I received a 17th cent. Polish saber from a UK seller just 3 months ago, no problem whatsoever. It came via ParcelForce and was not even opened for inspection by US customs. Just weeks ago, a seller on the Continent shipped a flintlock gun dating from the same period, he sent barrel and stock separately and again, it entered the US without any inspection.

But not long ago, someone else in the UK advised that Royal Mail would not accept antiques of any kind -- perhaps on the basis of not wanting to deal with claims for loss or damage (UPS used to deny antiques outright a few decades ago). I have not had the opportunity to verify this piece of advice and, as with the recent news received by the originator of this thread, it may or may not be correct.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 05:28 AM   #5
mariusgmioc

I purchased a sword recently from the UK and I didn't receive it yet as the seller said the carrier refused to take it and said it is a weapon. So now he is looking for another carrier.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 06:04 AM   #6
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
someone else in the UK advised that Royal Mail would not accept antiques of any kind -- perhaps on the basis of not wanting to deal with claims for loss or damage (UPS used to deny antiques outright a few decades ago). I have not had the opportunity to verify this piece of advice and, as with the recent news received by the originator of this thread, it may or may not be correct.
I checked the Royal Mail web site for international restricted and prohibited items and found nothing about antiques being prohibited, I did not see swords mentioned either.

Restricted goods - international
https://business.help.royalmail.com/.../863/related/1

Prohibited goods - international
https://business.help.royalmail.com/.../865/related/1

Guide to sending items to the USA from the UK
http://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america
Old 31st July 2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Kubur

Hi Estcrh

It's true most of the carriers now don't want to ship weapons, even within UK.
It really depends of your seller as I don't think that is prohibited.

Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 07:26 AM   #8
Royston

It is not banned but Royal Mail employees can be awkward. They have to ask the contents and some of them think that knives and swords are banned, the local post offices appear to make up the rules as they go along.
Using the correct name often works I.e "old Dayak Mandau " instead of sword as they rarely ask what it means. Native agricultural impliment or tool can also work.
Regards
Roy

This is from their website. Note " banned knives under UK law" NOT antiques per se.
Items NOT allowed.

Weapons
Including Section 5 firearms, CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives and other knives that are banned knives under UK laws, tasers and stun guns. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.

Last edited by Royston; 31st July 2017 at 07:37 AM.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 12:19 PM   #9
kronckew

what royston said. it varies from post office to post office. many dealers will not ship 'weapons' of any age. some have no problems. i've had swords posted thru the mail recently, no problems at all. had another dealer refuse to ship a sword they just sold me. i had to drive 2 hrs there to pick it up. most of them that refuse to mail them refer you to a company called 'mailboxes' that will pick it up, pack it and courier it on to you. they are expensive. just had a langseax sword delivered from the netherlands by royal mail's parcel force. took 3 days. no customs/border force, or duty. all depends on the whims and interpretation of the people running the local post office and his interpretation of the regs (which do prohibit firearms, but not legal edged weapons). never had any problems with items bought and shipped via ebay & their couriers or parcelforce tho.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

Sorry the wrong link.

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 1st August 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 07:06 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Some people when asked "may I ask what you are sending for security purposes" tell the literal truth. They do not see the difference between a sword weapon or old farm cutting tool, or just farm tool. It has just gone all crazy here in the UK these days. Perhaps I am just getting too long in the tooth.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 07:27 PM   #12
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Some people when asked "may I ask what you are sending for security purposes" tell the literal truth. They do not see the difference between a sword weapon or old farm cutting tool, or just farm tool. It has just gone all crazy here in the UK these days. Perhaps I am just getting too long in the tooth.
just got this 'vintage cabbage axe knife' (9 3/8" blade) in the regular mail from elsewhere in the UK: no problem. sharp little tyke. if he'd called it a dagger i probably wouldn't have been able to buy it. scary isn't it? ...if you are a sheeple. had about 3 in. of bubble wrap all around it.

p.s. i have no idea what i'll use it for, it just looked cool and was dirt cheap.
sauerkraut (kiszona kapusta) anyone?
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 10:17 PM   #13
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew

p.s. i have no idea what i'll use it for, it just looked cool and was dirt cheap.
sauerkraut (kiszona kapusta) anyone?
Start growing cabbages in your garden! Have you read Sandor Katz's book on fermentation? Sauerkraut is good for the gut (tastes great in any number of dishes, as well -- Russian sauerkraut soup (shchi), and Alsatian salt cod in sauerkraut bechamel sauce come to mind).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 11:44 PM   #14
Will M

I found UPS impossible in the UK, the tracking said the package arrived in Belleville Ont. but later I got the run around, they claimed they refused to ship,and that it never left the UK, against their policy. I called them and more lies. Was reshipped from the UK using DHL without issue.
A second time a sword from the UK was shipped, made it to sort facility in Mississauga then returned to the UK. Incompetence? The sword was resent with DHL and again no issue. I also know that Royal Mail is ok to ship swords.
Descriptions I've had on my packages from auctioneers in the UK range from "fencing equip" to "old iron". Unfortunately these descriptions allow duty to be added when antiques are exempt.
Frustrating having to wait over a month for a sword because some yoyo shipped it back to sender.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 01:08 AM   #15
estcrh

Here is an Ebay guide, not sure what may have changed since it was written but English Ebay sellers seem to have no trouble shipping outside of England.

New UK Sword Legislation - FAQ
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/New-UK-Swo...6500890/g.html
19 August 2008
As of the 6th April 2008 the Government will be introducing an amendment to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 which will see the addition of some Swords to the Offensive Weapons Order list. This is a list of items prohibited for sale, import, trade of transfer within the UK.

Guide now updated to include details of the 2nd amendment to the CJA 1988 which came into force on the 1st August 2008.

There is much confusion regarding this new legislation so below is a quick reference FAQ detailing how this new legislation affects you.

Questions:

Q: Are all swords now illegal?

A: No. the new legislation only covers some swords with a curved blade over 50cm.

Q: Is it just Samurai Swords that are now banned?

A: No. ANY sword with a curved blade over 50cm is now banned from sale, import, trade or transfer. This includes Persian Talwars, Military Cavalry swords, some Fantasy swords and many other types of sword unless specifically exempted - see below.

Q: Do I have to surrender my Samurai Sword I have at home?

A: No. Ownership of all swords is perfectly legal so you can keep any sword you have already in your possession. You cannot sell it or give it away.

Q: Are all Samurai Swords now banned?

A: Under UK legislation, no. The law only affects some swords over 50cm so although Katana swords are now banned (unless covered by the list of exemptions), most Wakizashi and Tanto swords have blades under 50cm so are unaffected by this legislation

Q: Are straight bladed swords affected?

A: No. The new legislation only covers curved bladed swords - straight bladed swords are totally unaffected by this legislation. The Home Office have indicated that there may be an extension of the legislation to cover all swords by October 2008 but as yet this is undecided.

Q: How is the blade length measured?

A: The legislation covers all swords over 50cm. The measurement is to be taken from the tip of the blade to the top of the handle (where the blade meets the handle) in a straight line NOT following the curve of the blade.

Q; Are there any exemptions?

A: Yes. There are several exemptions to the sword ban - These exemptions are:

•Members of historical re-enactment groups which hold a Public Liability Certificate.

•Members of a Martial Arts club which hold a Public Liability Certificate.

•Use for authorized Theatrical / film use.

•All Swords over 100 years old.

•Samurai Swords made before 1954.

•Samurai Swords made in Japan at any time using the traditional forging technique
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:00 AM   #16
drac2k

I just read your highlighted section"New U.K. Legislation FAQ," and marveled at how well thought out it was, especially the following provisions:
A). Only curved swords over 50cm are banned, as shorter ones apparently don't harm individuals.
B).Straight swords of any length are deemed harmless
C).Curved swords for religious purposes can be owned; I'm sure ISIS is pleased.
D).Curved swords over 50cm can be imported from Japan and China if they are forged in the traditional manner........not many of those made in China, right?
E)An individual in the U.K. can have a curved sword if he makes it in a traditional manner; does a grinder and a file taken to a piece of band iron count?
Just what were these regulations trying to prevent?

Last edited by drac2k; 2nd August 2017 at 02:32 PM.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:11 PM   #17
ariel

It is as if GB decided to be ruled by the Ministry of Funny Walks.

Perhaps Brexit was not such a bad idea... for the rest of Europe:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:13 PM   #18
Tim Simmons

Now it has been mentioned any British members of a certain mind, might look forward to paying, import duty + customs handling charge + vat, let alone customs declarations worries on imports from Europe to help their collections grow.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 2nd August 2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot import charges
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote