Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st June 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Second Taiwanese Aboriginal Sword for discussion

Here is the second of three examples. What I find interesting about all 3 is that while they have some similiarities, they all have differences. All three have different forms of ancestors and different types of scabbard decoration. If all 3 are Paiwanese, does this suggest that these pieces took on a very personal design and that is why you find this kind of variety or are we looking at pieces from different tribes?

This example has a single ancestor figure on each side of the handle, so it shows a full body view versus just the head. The handle has a nice glossy patina and it appears to have been painted red at one time but all of that has since worn off. The snake on the scabbard is different than the first example but has very nice details along the back. You have alternating triangle chequered sections to imitate the patterns found on some snake. The reverse of the scabbard has the lower half covered in a piece of metal, with lots of faces. However, these faces are better executed than the first example. The heads are cut out more and the details are more precise than on the first example. A final interesting feature is a metal band that is below the wood box on the scabbard. What is the purpose of this box on each scabbard? That metal band seems to have some purpose. The metal has been cut out but I can't make it out. Is it calligraphy? Is it symbolic?

The blade on this one is like the first one. Slightly hollow ground on one side, beveled on the opposite side and evidence that the blade has an inserted edge. Lots of pictures to follow to add to the discussion.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 03:46 PM   #2
RSWORD

Some additional pictures.
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2013, 06:21 AM   #3
KuKulzA28

Looks like a typical Paiwan blade to me.

They say the "sheath needs a pillow to rest on, and so that's what the box is"...

The box does keep the main part of the sheath and blade off the surface though, so perhaps it helps keep the blade from lying in moist dirt and becoming rusted...

Also, SOMETIMEs that box is hollow, and can be a small compartment for storing something, like string, or flint, or a tiny carving blade, or a charm, or whatever...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 02:43 PM   #4
yuanzhumin

Well said, Kukulza, this is another typical Paiwan blade!

Well, Rick, these three knives are very similar despite some slight differences. The fact is that the first and the third are closer to a formal type. First because there is a whole snake carved on the whole length of the scabbard (as I said the hundred pace snake is not a symbol that every Paiwan men can display as it is the main ancestor of the nobility), and also because on the last sword, we can see a kind of ring added on the open side.

Congratulations once more!
yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
drac2k

Default Another aboriginal Taiwanese sword

Hello,
I think I met Rsword at the Raleigh NC show. I would like to offer my one example of a Taiwanese Aboriginal sword. I would have missed it had I not seen the movie "Warriors of the Rainbow;" and as such I recognized what it was and was able to purchase it. The sword has a fairly substantial blade that measures approximately 20-1/2 inches in length and has a width at the base of approximately 2-1/4 inches; it appears to be a real fighting weapon.
Thanks to this forum I think I've found a Taiwanese shield which I am currently trying to convince its current owner that it would be better in my collection!
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 12:53 AM   #6
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
Hello,
I think I met Rsword at the Raleigh NC show. I would like to offer my one example of a Taiwanese Aboriginal sword. I would have missed it had I not seen the movie "Warriors of the Rainbow;" and as such I recognized what it was and was able to purchase it. The sword has a fairly substantial blade that measures approximately 20-1/2 inches in length and has a width at the base of approximately 2-1/4 inches; it appears to be a real fighting weapon.
Thanks to this forum I think I've found a Taiwanese shield which I am currently trying to convince its current owner that it would be better in my collection!

Yes, that was me! Welcome to the forum and I believe you do indeed have a nice example of a Taiwanese aboriginal sword. I have had several people mention that the "Warriors of the Rainbow" is an excellent movie so I need to track down a copy to watch. Good find with this sword!