Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default Two Very Fine Landsknecht Swords, Southern Germany, ca. 1490 and 1525

These were sold at Auctions Imperial Timonium, March 19, 2011, and went straight into my friend's collection!

The hilt of the first, a Late Gothic two hand or a-hand-a-half sword, is most problay of North Italian or South Tyrolian origin, ca. 1490, while the fine blade inlaid with the Gotic letter A was recycled and can be dated as early as mid 14th c.! I have seen the same letter A on contemporary barrels and strongly believe that it stands for Augsburg, Bavaria - which would make this the only known early Augsburg blade!

The second item, with an incredibly high quality Passau wrought 15th c. blade inlaid with an early Passau running wolf and various apotropaic (magic) symbols, and a refined hilt retaining all its original bluing, is a great Landsknecht two hand sword of ca. 1525. Originally riveted on top of the pommel was a small iron flowerhead shaped plate, which is now missing. Note the acanthus leaf engraving on the pommel. The extreme tang of the blade has been crudely bent by hammering but the rest of the piece is preserved in almost as new condition, considering its great age of almost 500 years!!!

These two items were deaccessioned of by the Higgins Armory Museum. Well, they were not cheap though worth each and every cent! Wonderful pieces, and I am going to handle them very soon when they have arrived here!

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 31st March 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

The rest of the images of lot 48.
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Now here comes the fine Passau two hand sword!
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

The rest of the images of lot 164.
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for posting these amazing swords! and it really is exciting to see such historic treasures especially with my favorite topic, these markings.

Do you have illustrations of this unusual 'Gothic' letter A on the barrels as you mentioned? It is strange to have the center bar in the shape of a 'V'.
It would indeed be great to have this turn out to have the Augsburg association.
I know the armourers in Augsburg used the letter A surrounded by 'pearls' or dots and the fir cone, and one of the more renowned Anton Peffenhauser used the triskele (sort of a three legged swastika).

I am wondering if perhaps the 'A' might have been used as a kind of armoury or allegiance type marking as Augsburg was one of the number of Imperial Free Cities, sort of independant entities who answered directly to the Holy Roman Emperor only. These cities operated thier own armies, trade and economic alliances and so on in these times, contemporary with the Hanseatic League. It is wonderful to see an example with this type of latten (inlaid brass).

With the fantastic two hand sword, the markings are most intriguing, and very much remind me of the kinds of symbolic groupings seen on swords associated with the mysterious Vehdic courts, or of the 'Free Judges'.
These German tribunals were well known in the 14th and 15th century but less so later, though they were certainly still known. What seems most to remind me of these are the 'cross fourchee' or cross with forked arms. In medieval times, these type crosses were used to denote Christian piety, and in the case of certain executioner or heading swords, these crosses occur with other symbols noting the piety of those who were charged with carrying out justice.
Again these markings in latten are outstanding, and the symbolism seems to carry out the representation of authority. It is often believed that these large swords were used as a kind of bearing sword in assembly of these courts rather than actual execution weapons, however it would be hard to say. These of course like many weapons may have been actual combat swords that came into use in these capacities later in thier working lives.

While of course not declaring that this is what the sword is, I am simply describing these associations as worthy of note in considering the nature of the markings.

The well known 'running wolf' of Passau is seen here in of course the typical interpretive application. These marks were indeed seen as magical after a time suggesting power and invincibility as associated with the arms production of Passau in these times. Though the marks were most likely originally guild compliance markings, their association with the quality of the weapons and imbued talismanic power became legendary over time.

I just wanted to add things that come to mind as I observe these wonderful swords, and congratulations to your friend for such fantastic acquisitions and sharing them here.

All the very best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 31st March 2011 at 07:13 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Jim and all,

I am extremely sad to say that both my friend Ottmar and I were cruelly cheated on the second sword by the incompetent management of Auctions Imperial. Our emailed (!) high bid was 18,000 USD. I have Oliver's approving reply email assuring at the same time that our bid was accepted up to 100,000 USD. Now I have been told that there was a so called 'bidding mistake' with the computer and the sword was 'paid and taken' by somebody else for 12,500 USD!!! We got each and every single proof!!!!

Gosh, is this a banana repubic where high bids are not accepted??!!

This catastrophe of handling foreign bids will go all around though in the international collectors' scene, believe me!!!

Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 31st March 2011 at 08:20 PM.