Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2006, 07:15 PM   #1
katana

Default Pesh Kabz ?.....Karud ?......comments information please

Just acquired this ......but is it a Pesh Kabz or Karud......which ever it is it is my first....unfortunately no scabbard. I am waiting for delivery but seller's description is below. Please any info or comments...age?....gratefully received.

Overall length 10ins not counting extension of tang.Blade length5 5/8ins and 1 1/4
at the widest.Blade decorated on both sides of the forte.the ferrule seems to be brass or nickel. the grips are 2 horn slabs held to the tang by 2 rivets.Small piece of horn split off on one side of pommel.
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Katana,

You have a pesh kabz – congratulation, a pity the scabbard is missing, but it is often so. Is the hilt made of horn?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 10:03 PM   #3
katana

Hi Jens,
the seller states that it is horn....he seems knowledgeable so I've no reason to doubt him. Would you have any suggestions as to age or the region this knife originated ?
Old 13th December 2006, 01:26 AM   #4
ariel

I think it is of a recent manufacture: the blade is reworked from some military weapon and the "dots" at the ricasso look new. They remind me of a newly-minted Kukris with the "Made in India" markings.
Some time ago we had this discussion already (twice, as a matter of fact) and I made a royal ass of myself
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...oora+pesh+kabz
I learned my lesson: it is a Choora, not a Karud and not a Pesh Kabz.
My late dog needed 3 repetitions to learn something new; I managed to require only two. Ain't evolution grand?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 02:40 AM   #5
Emanuel

Hi David,

I've yet to get my hands on one of these...the hilt has a greenigh hue, so I'd think it's horn. Does the blade have a massive fuller or is it just an artefact of the lighting...if it's a fuller, Ariel might be right that it's cut from some other blade.

Ariel, thanks for the link, it's very helpful. I've see some choora with extremely small blades and just tiny overall, fragile-looking...would these be the recent variety?

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 08:52 PM   #6
Valjhun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I think it is of a recent manufacture: the blade is reworked from some military weapon and the "dots" at the ricasso look new. They remind me of a newly-minted Kukris with the "Made in India" markings.
Some time ago we had this discussion already (twice, as a matter of fact) and I made a royal ass of myself
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...oora+pesh+kabz
I learned my lesson: it is a Choora, not a Karud and not a Pesh Kabz.
My late dog needed 3 repetitions to learn something new; I managed to require only two. Ain't evolution grand?
I fully agree and I'm adding my 0,00000000002 euros: Be carefull thoose rivets appears only on new pieces and they are flooding ebay.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 01:32 PM   #7
katana

The knife arrived. It has a deep fuller either side, is incredibly sharp and the blade has 'quality' and some age. The spine is 8mm at the handle and distally tapers. The fittings are a little 'cruder' than a high end example, but is solid. The horn handle has some chipping and it seems to have been used....I do not think this is 'tourist'. I think that Ariel is right the blade seems to be a reworked piece....it seems older than the 'fittings'. A light 'honing' would make this 'scapel' sharp ......until I get a sheath.....I'm leaving it 'as is'
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2007, 03:34 PM   #8
ward

modern probaly out of pakistan
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 05:26 PM   #9
katana

Thanks Ward, I agree modern/vintage in manufacture....but the blade definately seems older