Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2016, 01:53 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Are you kidding me, "no bull?"

After much deliberation, I feel compelled to write this thread ; I do so because of my great respect for this forum.
I wish to state that I am not trying to embarrass anyone(other than myself),especially the moderators, who do a thankless job very well, however in the case of Vandoo's post on bullfighting weapons,I feel they made a mistake by ending it.
I believe very strongly that the stoppage of Vandoo's very informative thread, based on complaints from several forum members about animal cruelty was extremely hypocritical on their part.We discuss weapons that fillet, flay, slice, dice, slash, cut, mince, smash, bash, crush, execute, impale, and shot humans ; can we not elaborate on the historical aspects of this practice with a bull?Will we be banned from postings of shields made from animal hides, daggers with handles of bone, ivory, or horn, sheaths made of leather or lizard skin and so on?This is a dangerous precedent that you embark on and as such, could destroy the forum.
Next,can we discounted a practice that dates back at least 4000 years by the Minoans and other ancient cultures and still exercised in Spanish, Portuguese, Central and South America countries and as I have recently learned, thanks to this post in some Middle Eastern places as well.We may not like the "sport," but do we have the audacity to tell millions of people that they are wrong and we are right ?
Finally,if there are those who find a certain thread objectionable, please do what I do ;don't open it and don't read it, but I would not want other's freedoms to read it curtailed, based upon my opinions!
In conclusion, I have only written the above based on the demands of my conscience and the respect for the members of this forum.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Roland_M

If I think about what we do with cattles in intensive mass animal farming or in the slaughter houses, the antipathy against bull fighting seems a little bit of hypocrisy to me.

A bull fighting bull will be treated much better in his life time, than intensive mass animal farming cattle.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Sajen

"Show" fights between humans against humans, human against animal and animal against animal you will find in nearly all places of the world. It is obvious that this is justified by the primary instinct of the human beeing.
Some of this show fights seems to some people very barbarous, myself included. Take for example the cock fight in South-East-Asia. It's the same with the bulls in Spain, the cocks have a very nice life, they get every time when the time of the owner it allows a massage and the best food. The fights I've watched but don't like it but when you want to understand "Indonesians" in an ethnograhic backround it's important to have seen such cock fights.
IMVHO it have to do with Ethnograhic when the used weapons for bull fights where shown here and there is no need to love this bull fights. I also don't like them but I also don't want to have stayed byside when a human get killed with one of my weapons I've collected.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Gents, I appreciate that there are various opinions on this subject. However, the question must be asked: What does this have to do with ethnographic weapons? Please do not escalate further what is essentially a peripheral and irrelevant discussion about the so-called sport of bullfighting.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 04:33 PM   #5
drac2k

First, let me thank you for allowing me to post my differing opinion.Please note that there weren't any posts glorifying "bullfighting;"had the thread continued, I'm sure that some of the cruel aspects of this"sport," would have been portrayed, which might have swayed more against it.
In regards to the discussion of the weapons of this trade being "irrelevant,"I think it to be no less so than the Ram Dao, or other sacrificial swords.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
First, let me thank you for allowing me to post my differing opinion.Please note that there weren't any posts glorifying "bullfighting;"had the thread continued, I'm sure that some of the cruel aspects of this"sport," would have been portrayed, which might have swayed more against it.
In regards to the discussion of the weapons of this trade being "irrelevant,"I think it to be no less so than the Ram Dao, or other sacrificial swords.
I think it would have been better to take this to the staff.

I believe we have been down the Bullfighting Weapons road more than once in the 15 odd years I have been involved here.
That road always leads downhill.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Bob A

I for one found the thread in question of interest, as I have no actual experience with or particular knowledge of bullfighting. I have not been involved here long enough to have experienced the earlier discussions on the subject.

The question of animal sacrifice crosses most cultures, and being squeamish about the tools involved is rather insular for a site devoted to weaponry.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
I for one found the thread in question of interest, as I have no actual experience with or particular knowledge of bullfighting. I have not been involved here long enough to have experienced the earlier discussions on the subject.

The question of animal sacrifice crosses most cultures, and being squeamish about the tools involved is rather insular for a site devoted to weaponry.
Bob, you too should take your concerns to staff.

Let's move on to other things, please.
Old 12th August 2016, 06:52 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

MY REASON FOR THE POST WAS TO SHOW A SPECIALIZED SET OF INTERESTING WEAPONS MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH MYSELF INCLUDED. I SANITIZED IT, NO GORY PICTURES OR GLORIFYING OF THE SPORT. JUST REPRESENTATIVE EXAMPLES OF THE EDGED WEAPONS SHOWING SOME OF THEIR UNUSUAL FEATURES.
YET I SEE SUCH WORDS AS OUTRAGED, OFFENDED AND SUCH NO DOUBT MANY OF THESE BARBARIC ITEMS WE DISCUSS HERE ARE OFFENSIVE TO SOME. IS WHAT WE DISCUSS AND WHAT WE ARE ALLOWED TO POST OR DISCUSS TO BE DETERMINED BY THESE FEW. NO FURTHER MENTION OF THE BRUTALITY OR HISTORY OF THESE SOCIETY'S OR THE WEAPONS THEMSELVES? IF WE FOLLOW THIS PATH AND PRECEDENT IT WILL SEVERELY LIMIT THE KNOWLEDGE WE HAVE SHARED HERE. I JUST DON'T READ POSTS I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE SAME WOULD GO FOR SITES I AM OFFENDED BY. I DON'T MAKE DEMANDS ON THOSE I DISAGREE WITH OR AM OFFENDED BY, I JUST GO MY OWN WAY AND THEY GO THEIRS. THE NEW FORUM "PLUCK OUT THE EYE IF IT OFFENDS THEE" POLICY IS A BIT OFFENSIVE TO ME NOW WE CAN UNFRIEND PEOPLE AND NEVER SEE ANY OF THEIR POSTS. I FIND THAT A BIT COUNTERPRODUCTIVE AS EVERYONE THAT POSTS HAS SOMETHING TO SHARE REGARDLESS OF IF YOU AGREE WITH THEM AND YOU ARE FREE TO POST YOUR OPINIONS AND VIEW OR ADD INFORMATION. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ WHAT A CERTAIN PERSON WROTE DON'T READ IT. BUT IF THESE VIEWS OFFEND OR OUTRAGE THEE FEEL FREE TO PLUCK ALL I POST FROM THEE. ONE QUESTION I WOULD ASK IS ARE THOSE OFFENDED THE ONES WHO REGULARLY ADD KNOWLEDGE AND POSTS TO THE FORUMS OR ONES WHO ONLY CRITIQUE AND ARE THEY A MAJORITY OR A MINOR GROUP. THAT IS SOMETHING FOR MODERATORS TO CONSIDER BEFORE TAKING THE ROAD TO P.C. WITH THE FORUM.
I AM NOT CRITICIZING ANYONE LEAST OF ALL THE MODERATORS BUT THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER. NO OFFENSE MEANT AND NO OUTRAGE FELT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 09:39 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'll just leave this here..
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=684
Old 12th August 2016, 10:01 PM   #11
ariel

On several occasions when I visited Spain, the organizers of the meetings offered visits to the corrida as cultural entertainment. I invariably refused. I am not a vegetarian and enjoy my steaks rare, but I do not have to witness the act of butchery. This is pure IMHO.

Having said that, I am a bit surprised by the political correctness of the few and the acquienscence by the moderators. I am not interested in these implements and do not intend to read these post: not out of abhorrence, but simply because of lack of interest. So can the protesters, and they can choose their own motives.

We are discussing here weapons, i.e. implements of death on the battlefields or in dark alleys, sacrificial swords intended to kill immobilized dumb animal for the glory of non-existing symbolic personalities, and even execution implements created for public dismemberment of defenseless humans in front of blood-thirsty spectators , - and accept the appropriateness of such discussions without batting an eye.

To play a politically correct game against discussing , - just discussing! - weapons of the corrida strikes me as ( no personal insult intended) sanctimonious hypocrisy. Do the protesters organize petitions to ban discussions of cold weapons of the Third Reich or WWII Japanese swords?

Well, I have said it all and can return to the study of Persian shamshirs, apparently the best cavalry weapon to slice lightly dressed retreating infantry men.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 12:47 AM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

I find it really interesting that no one really seems to have bothered to actually read Ian's last post fully. His closing line was as follows:
"This thread is closed now, pending further discussion by the Moderators." Maybe if you all stop your bitching and moaning and allow the Moderators of that forum to have an actual discussion about the thread as Ian posted they would the thread might be re-opened. Nobody "ended" this thread. It was temporarily suspended while the moderators evaluated the complaint they received against it. This is standard procedure. The most inappropriate thing that has happened here is all the public criticism that has been leveled at this team while they try their best to balance the needs of one group of members against another. Not an easy task, i can assure you. As Rick has already pointed out, public criticism of moderator actions is not an appropriate response and when you have complaints they should be sent directly to the moderation team in PMs.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 01:08 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
After much deliberation, I feel compelled to write this thread ; I do so because of my great respect for this forum.
I wish to state that I am not trying to embarrass anyone(other than myself),especially the moderators, who do a thankless job very well, however in the case of Vandoo's post on bullfighting weapons,I feel they made a mistake by ending it.
I believe very strongly that the stoppage of Vandoo's very informative thread, based on complaints from several forum members about animal cruelty was extremely hypocritical on their part.We discuss weapons that fillet, flay, slice, dice, slash, cut, mince, smash, bash, crush, execute, impale, and shot humans ; can we not elaborate on the historical aspects of this practice with a bull?Will we be banned from postings of shields made from animal hides, daggers with handles of bone, ivory, or horn, sheaths made of leather or lizard skin and so on?This is a dangerous precedent that you embark on and as such, could destroy the forum.
Next,can we discounted a practice that dates back at least 4000 years by the Minoans and other ancient cultures and still exercised in Spanish, Portuguese, Central and South America countries and as I have recently learned, thanks to this post in some Middle Eastern places as well.We may not like the "sport," but do we have the audacity to tell millions of people that they are wrong and we are right ?
Finally,if there are those who find a certain thread objectionable, please do what I do ;don't open it and don't read it, but I would not want other's freedoms to read it curtailed, based upon my opinions!
In conclusion, I have only written the above based on the demands of my conscience and the respect for the members of this forum.

Drac2,
I very much appreciate your well written and well thought out appeal here, and very much understand your concerns. While these matters are best handled privately and directly posed to the moderators, I would like to note that there has been considerable dialogue on this thread and the topic of bullfighting among staff as well as certainly with you guys.

In the many years here, this very topic has been brought up before, and unfortunately resulted in like circumstances, as it seems too many members cannot set aside the rather understandable emotive reactions. This was the reason I wanted to express my concerns on the original thread in hopes of keeping to the subject of the weapons alone, and to leave the rest of the obvious controversy on the bullfighting issues out of discussion.

This is a discussion forum, and we have fantastic dialogue that reveals a great deal on weapons and the cultural and historical aspects. I must admit that my lifelong passion for the study of weapons history, I have always rather turned a blind eye to their inherent purpose and focused on their character as far as decoration, markings, style etc. They are to me material culture, and seen as that alone, without augmentation as purposed for death, battle and such.

In our pages, I think of course that we should have the latitude to use good judgement in presenting arms which we have interest in and wish to learn more about . I have an interest in these very bullfight swords as I have long studied Spanish swords, and these happen to be one of the more esoteric groups in the spectrum. Actually, these very swords are found in various reference books among other weapons, and have even come into consideration in certain studies of swords evaluated in further design issues for military use, a most surprising and unusual case.

With that very perspective in mind, I think that if the discussion would remain objective and focused, on historical aspects of the swords and/or knives and examples as applicable, leaving out graphic and dramatic analysis of their use.....we might have grounds for continuing the discussion.

I have seen this very topic on these swords attempted in discussion on other forums over the years, with the same resultant disruptive oratories and heated debates ending in arguments and regrettable ends .

I think our membership and readers can handle this topic objectively, staying to the weapons alone, avoiding the other issues surrounding their actual use. I think the comments here reveal that character among you, that unpleasant aspects that one finds disturbing can simply be avoided.
I very much applaud and respect the solidarity and respect among all of us.

Having said that, I would ask that any issues such as this needing attention and concerning moderator action or forum business be channeled privately in the future.

Thank you guys!

Jim

PS David we crossed posts
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 02:39 AM   #14
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE PERSONAL VIEWS OF BOTH SIDES SHOULD BE CONSIDERED OPENLY BY THE MODERATORS. ONE SIDE GOT THE TOPIC CLOSED EASILY AND SOON IT WILL BE BURIED AND FORGOTTEN AS USUALLY HAPPENS WITH LOCKED THREADS. FOR THE VIEWS OF OTHERS TO BE CONSIDERED CRYING AND MOANING AND THAT THESE VIEWS SHOULD BE KEPT TO ONES SELF BOTHERS ME.
YES I DID READ ALL OF THE MODERATORS POST AND I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SUPPORTIVE OF MODERATORS AND THE THANKLESS JOB THEY DO. BUT IN THIS WORLD I HAVE SEEN THE TAIL WAGGING THE DOG IN TOO MANY CASES AND I FEAR THE FEW WHO PUSH FOR A P.C. WORLD WHERE THEY DECIDE WHAT IS P.C. AND WHAT IS NOT. THEY HAVE HAD TOO MUCH SUCCESS ON TOO MANY FRONTS IN TODAY'S WORLD AND I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THAT ATTITUDE AT BAY ON THESE FORUMS.
THESE SAME FOLKS WON A VICTORY WITH THE IVORY LAWS THAT BAN EVERYTHING FROM MAMMOTH TO ANTIQUES AND OLD BOOTS. NO ELEPHANTS SAVED BUT MUCH HAS BEEN AND WILL BE DESTROYED AND RESOURCES AND ART WASTED. THESE FOLKS ARE POWERFUL ALTHOUGH THEY ARE RELATIVELY FEW BUT THEY WORK HARD TO ACHIEVE THEIR GOALS GOOD OR BAD. I AM A ZOOLOGIST, NATURALIST AND HAVE WORKED WITH AND FED BABY ELEPHANTS AND ADULTS. I LOVE CRITTERS BUT I AM ALSO PRACTICAL AND REALISTIC IN MY VIEWS SO AM NOT A BAD PERSON WHO CARES LITTLE ABOUT ANIMALS. I PUT THIS IN BEFORE I CAN BE TRASHED AS AN ANIMAL HATER. THAT'S ENOUGH AND I GIVE UP SOB , MOAN WOE IS ME.
THREAD CLOSED.
Old 13th August 2016, 02:45 AM   #15
Robert
EAAF Staff

Wait a minute there little buckaroo, I am just about to reopen the original thread. So dry those tears and please don't make me sorry that I did.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 07:19 AM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

GOOD ON YOU MATE AS THEY SAY IN OZ AND I SAY IN OKLAHOMA. ITS UNFORTUNATE WE HAD TO GO THRU ALL OF THIS ESPECIALLY AS I HAD ALREADY POSTED ALL I HAD ON THE SUBJECT. PERHAPS SOMEONE MAY HAVE MORE TO ADD BUT I SUSPECT THIS SUBJECT WOULD HAVE DIED ON ITS OWN WITHOUT ALL THE DRAMA. I DO TRY AND STAY ON SUBJECT AND NOT MAKE A FUSS BUT AT TIMES IT CAN BECOME NECESSARY. I DO VALUE THIS FORUM AND THINK IT IS BECOMING AN IMPORTANT RESOURCE. AS I BELONG TO NO OTHERS I WISH IT TO CONTINUE TO GROW AND PROSPER SO IF I THINK I SEE A POSSIBLE PROBLEM I SPEAK OUT. OUR MODERATORS HAVE A TOUGH JOB AND A LOT TO CONSIDER ESPECIALLY WHEN A GROUP PUTS THEM UNDER PRESSURE. I THINK THEY FEEL AS I DO ABOUT THIS FORUM OR THEY WOULD NOT BE MODERATORS. UNFORTUNATELY YOU CAN NEVER MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY THEY JUST DO THE BEST THEY CAN FOR OUR FORUMS. IT IS APPRECIATED FELLOWS.