Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st May 2020, 03:41 PM   #1
kalamputi

Default Identification please

Pictured below is one of two short swords I bought at the camel market in Imbaba back in the early 1990s. I was ignorant then of the provenance of the blades then and only slightly less ignorant now but if someone wants to help me out with the origin, I'll be grateful for it. Beja? Hausa?

Also, the knife must have gotten some moisture on it in storage, with the result that the blade is now frozen inside the sheath. I'd also take any suggestions with regard to blade removal. Thank you.
Attached Images

kalamputi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 10:09 PM   #2
Edster

Hello kalamputi,

Welcome to the forum. You have a very nice contemporary Sudanese arm dagger. Could have been made in the Upper Nile valley or even in Egypt. Whether the blade is forged or from cut sheet steel would give a clue.

As far as the stuck blade, I've had luck tapping the sheath along the edge and blade flats with a wooden mallet. This breaks up the rust from the blade that has encrusted to the inside of the sheath. Whack then pull gently then repeat as necessary.This worked with me for a neglected stuck-in-sheath kaskara sword.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:15 AM   #3
mariusgmioc

Yep, 20th century Sudanese arm dagger. But an exceptionally beautiful example. It is the most beautiful I have seen so far.

That's why blades sould never be kept sheathed for longer storage. Many think that keeping a blade sheathed, one protects the blade but it is exactly the opposite. Sheathed blades are almost guaranteed (almost because there are few exceptions) to rust so badly that some might be completely destroyed...
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:29 AM   #4
kalamputi

Thanks to both of you. Can either be more specific than Sudani? A specific tribe or tribal group perhaps? I do remember being told it was Sudani in origin when I paid either $100 apiece or $100 for the two of them, can't remember.

Regarding storage, yes, I'm inclined to agree with you. I was long in the habit of taking the blade out but had neglected to do so for at least a few years and now, I simply can't get it out-but I will.
kalamputi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Edster

Knife maders use various designs that are directed to the preferences of the market. Certain groups like the Bega and the Rashaida have specific preferences and the handle makers crafted specific designs to satisfy them.

Your knife is like what may be made for the upper Nile (north of Khartoum).
The consumer market isn't necessarily "tribal" in nature, but the style is regarded by most people in this area. The primary tribe in this area is the Ja'alin (see link below). Remember the blade, grip and sheath were made by different craftsmen in different sections of the market (suq). The makers may or may not have been members of this ethnic group. Also, each craft has a different status within the market and society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ja%27alin_tribe

I hope this helps,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote