Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Georgia

Default Keris question

Hi - I'm studying conservation of cultural materials and for my minor thesis am looking into culturally appropriate storage, handling and display of keris daggers. I'm wondering if anyone can advise me of whether any particular traditions exist relating to the care of keris, for example whether there are gender restrictions on who can clean or handle them, or whether the keris should be stored 'hierarchically' according to who made or owned them, or according to their power?
I'm also keen to learn about traditional preservation techniques and whether there are any health concerns relating to the use of arsenic sulphides in the cleansing processes ...
I am making contact with curators and conservators from around the SE Asian region (including Australia, where I am) but am equally keen to hear from collectors and people who may have participated in cleansing rituals.
I look forward to your replies!
Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
nechesh

Hi Georgia, welcome to the forum. Before we dig into this i would suggest you use the search function on this forum as much of this material as been covered in great detail here. Try key words like "keris cleaning", "keris display", "arsenic", etc. and you should end up wit a wealth of info. If you have more specific questions after that you should then raise them.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Welcome ...

Hi Georgia:

Welcome to the Forum. Nechesh has offered some very helpful advice about searching the forum. Since you are in Australia, you may wish to make contact with a compatriate, Mr Alan Maisey, a world renowned expert on keris who is a member of this Forum. You can look up his contact information in the Membership List under A. G. Maisey.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 11:06 PM   #4
nechesh

Georgia, i sent you a private message.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Georgia

Thanks Nechesh and Ian for your advice. I've found some really useful discussions on previous threads and have been in contact with Alan, so this has been an excellent start. However, I am suffering under the enormous amount of information which seems to be widely dispersed across the site (as I think has been mentioned by other members) and it was more a case of time management rather than sheer laziness which lead me to post my own thread! I will continue to wade but in the meantime I am more than happy to continue to receive responses to my enquiry. Thanks again.
Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote