Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th April 2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Big sized Indonesian Tombak

Hello Members,

yesterday I have won by e-bay this very big indonesian tombak, i think from Java. I have never seen a big one like this but the pictures tell me (I hope and cross my fingers) that it is an old original one. What do you think? Someone can tell me more? Pictures from the seller and the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Like every time many thank's in advance,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice piece - would be better if you could etch the blade to bring out the pamor.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Nice piece - would be better if you could etch the blade to bring out the pamor.
Hello Jose,

the blade will get an etch and the sheath will be restored. Hope, that the blade have a nice pamor!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 12th April 2011, 11:24 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

A nice piece.

You know how much I dislike trying to classify blades from photos, but I think I'm prepared to offer an opinion on this one. Based upon the form of the metuk, form of rondha, and size, I believe this can be classified as Tuban. Tuban blades of all types were very substantial, and the metuk and rondha are much closer to Tuban form than any other.

I would hope that when this has been cleaned and stained we see Tuban material.

Detlef, believe me:- you do not want the blade to have a "nice pamor"; you want it to have a typical Tuban pamor which will be wos wutah or ngulit semongko, rather coarse, heavily veined, and smooth to the touch. If you're real lucky the pamor might be hair-like, and then we can attribute to Mpu Bekeljati.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Sajen

Hello Alan,

thank you very much for your comment! Have I written that I wish to see a nice pamor after staining? I wish to see a hair-like wos wutah or ngulit semongko! Now I can't wait to hold it in my hands. That are very good news.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 16th April 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
danny1976

Hi detlef,

Very nice and intresting tombak you have .

Can,t wait to see it after cleaning and the stain
danny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
A nice piece.

You know how much I dislike trying to classify blades from photos, but I think I'm prepared to offer an opinion on this one. Based upon the form of the metuk, form of rondha, and size, I believe this can be classified as Tuban. Tuban blades of all types were very substantial, and the metuk and rondha are much closer to Tuban form than any other.

I would hope that when this has been cleaned and stained we see Tuban material.

Detlef, believe me:- you do not want the blade to have a "nice pamor"; you want it to have a typical Tuban pamor which will be wos wutah or ngulit semongko, rather coarse, heavily veined, and smooth to the touch. If you're real lucky the pamor might be hair-like, and then we can attribute to Mpu Bekeljati.

Hello Alan,

the tombak is stained and it seems that you have been correct, the pamor is like you supposed and the touch is indeed very smooth. What do you think, is it possible that this tombak is from Mpu Bekeljati?

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Old 17th July 2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Indianajones

Hi Detlef, nice piece also with that scabbard! I am no expert on Indonesian arms but it looks quite appealing. Although I do find it a bit worrying to have removed that wonderfull patine to see the pamor; but thats just me I guess. Did you know that with toothpaste one can clean very graduatly with the keeping of some patine? Congrats w your buy.
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote