Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 30th July 2014, 05:33 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Timang

These buckles are called timang.

In the courts of Central Jawa they are used to hold the sabuk (belt) in place which in turn holds the wide sash (setagen) around the waist in place.

This sash/belt arrangement is extremely important, because not only is it the place where the keris is worn by slipping it between the winds of the sash, and it also holds the top of the sarung in place, but men are required to sit upright and motionless on the floor of the court for very lengthy periods. This sash/belt assists by acting as a type of corset to support the body.

The ones shown are from silver and rubies, iron and gold, silver, gold plate and diamonds. The rubies and diamonds are of extremely low quality --- but they sparkle wonderfully, and that's what is important.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 07:48 PM   #2
Athanase

Another example of an old Timang, ( iron with traces of gold plating)
I like the Timang but it's hard to find old Timang (and not too expensive for me).
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 11:06 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Yes, the price of timang has become ridiculous over the last 10-15 years or so.

I bought all of mine prior to the monetary crisis --- which is when the price of all old things in Indonesia went ballistic --- and I didn't pay silly prices for them, but timang, and in fact anything old and reflective of cultural values, has just gone crazy lately.

Here are a few more timang, and some other Javanese bits and pieces --- suweng, tusuk konde , binggel etc,etc
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2016, 01:58 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

What splendor!!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 03:11 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Rick.

None of it very valuable, there's some little diamonds and sapphires and rubies scattered through it, but none perfect or particularly big. Lots of silver, very little gold.

There are a few pretty scarce things there, like the reins hooks.

This pair of suweng missed the last pic, they tipped over backwards. they're not real bad.
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Athanase

Very nice collection!
I love the reins hooks, they are very elegant.
Old 31st March 2016, 10:10 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Two of the bird-like hooks are reins hooks, #1 and #3, they were used to hold the reins so a horseman could use both hands for his weapons.

The middle "bird" (#2) is not a reins hook but rather, it is used to support a bamboo stick that holds a newly circumcised boy's sarung away from his penis.

Many people have erred in identification of these hooks, including major museums.

All of these hooks are extremely rare items. The three you see here are the only three I've been able to buy in 50 years. I have seen one other in private hands, a reins hook, that was absolutely superb, but I was not able to buy it --- at any price.
Old 24th April 2016, 08:27 PM   #8
DaveA

Lightbulb A fashion that should return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
...men are required to sit upright and motionless on the floor of the court for very lengthy periods.
I'm often required to sit upright (if not motionless) for long periods at my place of employment. Perhaps this is a fashion of importance for the modern working man?

- Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 10:57 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

In times past both men and women wore corsets. When those corsets were removed both men and women who wore them fell into a heap with back problems.

Yes, a setagen or a corset will definitely help you to sit upright for lengthy periods, but strengthening of the core muscles is probably a better option.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:56 AM   #10
Athanase

I found this picture where we see worn on the belt one of these "bird hooks" :
Attached Images