Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Iliad

Default Irish or Welsh swords

Hi all,
I have been puzzled for some time about the lack of references to Irish or Welsh swords. There are frequent references to Scottish swords, English swords, Indian Swords, Arabian swords, Turkish swords, Chinese swords, French swords, etc.
Are there specifically Irish or Welsh swords, so that a collector could visit an exhibition or Antique shop and say " Aha, this is an Irish/Welsh sword from about 1780-1810, probably from xyz regiment which fought in outer Mongolia."
Best regards to all,
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Brian,
Great question! Actually I think the reason it is hard to find such references is mostly that swords of Ireland and Wales are often grouped into larger headings, for example those Irish examples appearing in "Scottish Swords and Dirks" by John Wallace, 1970. I suppose a lot in answering this would depend on more specific circumstances and periods.

References which show Viking and Frankish swords include weapons from Ireland as well as Britain. Naturally Scottish and Irish swords, as noted, are often intergrouped. The mercenary warriors known as 'Galloglaigh' of 13th-16th centuries used swords in these kinds of mixed category.

The Journal of the Arms & Armour Society (II, #1, 1956) is focused on Irish arms and armour.

"Sixteenth Century Irish Swords in the National Museum of Ireland" by
Gerard Anthony Hayes-McCoy, Dublin 1959 (1977)

"Irish Medieval Swords 1170-1600" Andrew Halpin ,
Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 86 C #5,
Dublin Royal Irish Academy, 1986

These are among the number of references on Irish swords. Again,depending on period, other categories might also be applicable.

On Welsh swords, naturally the swords of the Romans such as the spatha come to mind, and later Anglo-Saxon swords would be the best sources.
"The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England" , Hilda Ellis-Davidson 1962 (1994) is an amazing reference with illustrations by Oakeshott, and gives a good overview on swords that would fall into the headings including Wales and Ireland.

In MAN, May, 1931, there is the article "Discovery of a Saxon Sword in Wales" by C.E.Vulliamy, describing this exacavated weapon.

Naturally the swords of these countries from the 18th century forward would be among those of Great Britain. With that being the case and regarding regulation swords, these would be researched accordingly with unit and military histories.

Hope this will be of some help

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Iliad

Default Irish or welsh swords

Jim, thank you for the kind reply. I do not have any of the references which you have given, so could you please post photos of Irish/Welsh swords from those sources? (Do Irish swords have a Shamrock engraved on the blade?)
But I take it that Irish/Welsh swords were really just English swords moved over the border into Wales or over the Irish Sea to Ireland?
Best to all,
Brian
Old 17th April 2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Pukka Bundook

Brian,

The Irish swords that are old enough to be identifiable as such, are a long time before shamrocks got the Irish connection!
as Jim noted, Irish swords are generally from late-ish Iron age, and into the medieval perio. having said that, if someone mentions Irish swords, my mind goes to the former catagory (iron age)
Re Welsh;
Until the late Roman period, there was no Welsh as such, just the Britons, identified as Welsh by the Anglo-Saxons, so again, no special swords to Wales.

This is a simplified answer,...but I gotta' go!

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Brian,
I dont have these references either, just know of them.
Richard, extremely well described!!! and its really good to see ya posting stranger!!!!

all the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Iliad

Default Irish or Welsh swords

Thanks guys.
Brian