Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 29th May 2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Exclamation Welcome and, of course, Ground Rules

Ever so often a new thread appears that is off-topic as per arms and armour, but of potentially significant interest to our community. Such threads are a challenge to the Moderation Team; lock and enforce focus or look aside and hope not to get called out?

What you are invited to post here:
  • Ethnographic items other than arms & armour, particularly those of cultures whose arms & armour are discussed here.
  • Trends and issues relating to collecting ethnographic artifacts (please be cautious and stay away from flame-war politics).
Ultimately, for the time being, this forum is a test. The Moderation Team hopes this will evolve into a useful and interesting facet of our on-line community.
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I just wanted to note that this new forum is an ideal solution to respond to occasional need to discuss items of material culture ancillary to the arms often discussed here. In many cases items which are not technically weapons are sometimes included as 'kit' such as ammunition cases or other accoutrements, or could well extend to items including anything material which might carry certain motif or decoration similar to that found on arms.

I can recall many cases where certain huqqa (vases or containers) or ewers etc and many Mamluk trays and utensils often reflect the designs and art so profoundly displayed in their metalwork.

There are also many oceanic items which are used in utilitarian context which are readily used as weapons, such as large paddles or spoons if I recall, Vandoo is the expert on these things!

I hope this forum will prove successful and respectfully ask that good judgement will prevail, as I am confident it will, if I know you guys!
No 'roadshow' stuff OK? you know...doilies, tea cups ?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 12:27 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Love the idea!!!
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote