Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2009, 02:19 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Zulu staff for comment

Hi

I bought this monster specimen a little while ago. Not a weapon as such, but no doubt could be used as one in case of necessity. Its a Zulu staff, almost 6 feet high, probably belonging to a native diviner/healer.

The staff has three carved snakes...snakes were important to the Zulu as they were believed to have the ability to travel below ground and communicate with the spirits. The appearance of a snake in a hut was believed to indicate the visit of an ancestral spirit.

Regards
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Something similar only half the size!!! very cool.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi

I bought this monster specimen a little while ago. Not a weapon as such, but no doubt could be used as one in case of necessity. Its a Zulu staff, almost 6 feet high, probably belonging to a native diviner/healer.

The staff has three carved snakes...snakes were important to the Zulu as they were believed to have the ability to travel below ground and communicate with the spirits. The appearance of a snake in a hut was believed to indicate the visit of an ancestral spirit.

Regards

Hi Colin,
That really is an impressive piece, and thank you for sharing a bit of information to go with it. Its always great to look at a piece, especially something I know next to nothing about, and have such material to help appreciate it even more.
Now when I see these, it will be with new understanding. I had known of the importance of snakes in West Africa in similar context, but was not aware it extended into the Zulu nation.
Tim, thank you for adding your example as well, in extending the variations of these with similar motif.
Thank you so much guys!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 01:40 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Thanks for your observations, Tim and Jim. Here is an illustration from the book by Rev. J Wood "Natural History of Man" 1874, that might be of interest....

Regards
Colin
Attached Images

Old 12th August 2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

My latest indulgence, not Zulu but must be from somewhere is Southern African? I just love the confident carving and humorous depiction of a European.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 09:05 AM   #6
colin henshaw

Nice piece Tim, probably from the Tsonga (north of the Zulu)...they produced a range of sticks with carved heads and figures, sometimes of European subjects.

Regards