Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th May 2022, 02:44 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Latest Massim black palm lance club.

Just arrived L 1.35m blade width 7cm. Not sure how one would put a name to this form of stabbing club. This could be used as a bludgeon but they are generally relatively light weight and I thick more of a stabbing weapon, a short lance rather than a sword club. I show it with two other versions of similar weight. I wish I had not sold the others I had when I liquidated the bulk of my collection a few years ago. Also all three with a similar at first glance shaped weapon from Brazil/Guyana borders. The South American club is heavy with a 5cm diamond blade cross section making it quite a different weapon, crushing blows as well stabbing but much slower to swing around.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 04:43 AM   #2
drac2k

Very nice war clubs. Why do you think that the Massim ones are lances as opposed to sword clubs? I agree that they could be used for stabbing however they probably weigh at least as much as a European sword and in skilled hands, they could easily break a collar bone, a limb, or crack a skull and disable a foe. I remember recently reading how the Spanish Conquistadores were impressed by the skill of the Aztecs who wielded their sword clubs; the difference being that theirs were wood and the Spaniards being of steel.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 01:04 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

You got me thinking, so I weighed the new club and the South American club. I was surprised. The South American club feels much heavier but is only 136g heavier than the new Massim club 1.385kg vs 1.249kg Must be a phycological thin having a bigger shape. I have had many clubs under a kilo, so they are a sabre like as well as stabbing.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 09:22 PM   #4
werecow

Quote:
You got me thinking, so I weighed the new club and the South American club. I was surprised. The South American club feels much heavier but is only 136g heavier than the new Massim club 1.385kg vs 1.249kg Must be a phycological thin having a bigger shape. I have had many clubs under a kilo, so they are a sabre like as well as stabbing.
Might be a weight distribution thing. Since these are pointed with such a long gradual taper, more mass will be nearer the hand, so they'd feel more agile than a club that is wider near the tip.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote